SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dicken with my clutch for months, i hate it. extreme plate/street disk. I need to get rid of it. When i lose a race(to a piece of shite crx(im mean really busted)) cause i cant get in second its gota go. Any one using the clutchnet clutches? I will be turbo next summer so at least 300hp at the wheels. I need somthing that will hold.

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
I have the same clutch as you and have never had a problem with shifting. I drive the hell out of my car too. Maybe it's another problem besides the clutch.

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
The Tampa DSM club uses only ACT pressure plates. We found their disks to be very inconsistant and wear out fast. We just use a local clutch shop to build us some Steel backed disks & use the ACT Pressure plate. I personally am running a 2100 # plate in my Talon. Works awesome.

·
Hi Officer, how ya doin'?
438 Posts
It's all in the adjustments. You know I've been beating the living hell outta my ACT and it's holding up fine. Think about it, we have the identical clutch set up. My pedal feels perfect and yours doesn't disengage until it almost hits the floor. Bring it by and see if I can adjust for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go to SE-R.net and look for the page on adjusting your clutch. You can set the grab point to just about whereever you want it to be. Sounds like your engagement point just needs to be set higher, if you clutch doesnt disengage until the pedal hits the floor. Adjusting it only takes 5 minutes or so.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I installed an act xtreme pp and street disc on my se-r and no matter how I adjusted it it would not disengage. I even shimmed the adjuster about 1/2" to no avail. The cable was so tight it was actually *really* pre-loaded and the pedal was very heavy through the whole range. I ended putting the stock pp back on with the disc from the act package and it works fine. I guess i have a bum pp. On the other hand I have an act hd pp and street disc on my NX that I installed at Salt Fest 2000 and it has always been great. YMMV

Matt Ostlund
93NX
91SE-R DET

·
Nut Hugger Bandwagon
2,558 Posts
Personally, I think ACT 6 pad/ extreme pressure plate sucks. This combination in my NX2K crack my tranny right down the LSD. The pedal is very hard and it sometimes sticks. There is no such thing as an easy take off either. I was thinking about switching the disc out for the street strip disc, or get a whole new clutch set, anyways what do you guys think is the best way to go?

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Well personally, after my experience with the xtreme pp I'd either go with the act hd pp or the jwt stage 2. The stage 2 is the same pp but has a fancy disc that is metal on one side. The engagement is really smooth and easy but as soon as the metal heats it expands and holds super thight. Ray K has one on his GtiR t-28/to4b hybrid water injection S3s crazy setup and it has held fine.

Matt

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Have you guys ever once thought to replace the clutch cable? Geez. 99% of the time the fault is in the installation man. Instead of being so quick to point fingers at ACT making a bum product which LOTS of people have been using successfully, just try changing the clutch cable out. I personally think the Xtreme PP has too much pressure for the fragile SR20 trannies and is the main reason why everyone breaks their trannies when they go turbo. All the people I've seen with turbo with HD pressure plates versus the Xtreme PP has not broken a tranny. For example, Jay Hassinger's old car which Ron Acevedo now owns. My theory is that the HD pressure plate starts to slip before it can do damage to the gears. The Xtreme PP just grabs way too hard, and I think a lot of this has to do with driver error as well, when it grabs too hard and your not 100% in gear, say bye to your 3rd gear.

For you all motor guys with the Xtreme PP, it doesn't help you. It is way overkill.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Well personally, after my experience with the xtreme pp I'd either go with the act hd pp or the jwt stage 2. The stage 2 is the same pp but has a fancy disc that is metal on one side. The engagement is really smooth and easy but as soon as the metal heats it expands and holds super thight. Ray K has one on his GtiR t-28/to4b hybrid water injection S3s crazy setup and it has held fine.

Matt
Actually, unless I am mistaken, Ray has the JWT PP and stock disc. Unless this was recently changed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ok, i have the xtreme pressure plate with the 6 puck disk and it works fine for me as a daily driven car....and thats all i have to say about that.

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
I love my ACT adjustment

Dude I have had my ACT setup for like 1 year. I love it . It works fine. I had the same problem you had and I found out that it was my pedal adjustment. The problem is that at high RMP when you are ready to shift the pressure plate opens a little causing you not to be able to put the car in gear. I had the same problem. I bet for a fact that it is your adjustment. Adjust the cable and it might fix the problem. Like I said my set up has been go for my car all motor and on juice! I hope you can fiqure out the problem!

·
Nut Hugger Bandwagon
2,558 Posts
SERboy,
Does your tranny ever whistle when you take off or sound like you turning on faucet and no water comes out cause that what tranny does sometimes when i take off, and sometimes when i downshift.

·
Registered
348 Posts
ACT

92 SE-R is right, if you have an aftermarket clutch cable a non-nissan one, a bunch of us have ACT clutchs and i love it, but my friends with non-nissan cables would have the same problems you have so go to your local nissan dealer and pick up an OEM cable..

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
gotta agree here...my ACT has given me zero problems...it did need to be adjusted after the install though..take em up in th eoffer to adjust it.:D

·
Army Boosted
565 Posts
solid six puck ACT clutch and stock pressure plate works perfect for me. that is true though, 90% of the time take offs are very hard and chatters alot, but the ACT/stock PP combo works perfect with a 75 shot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
ruthless nx2k,
i do hear some "type" of whine only when i downshift though, maybe we're talking about the same thing...do you know what it is??...cuz i sure dont...but im not too worried about it...yet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts