SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys have done the ad22 swap (nx2k brakes)?? I'm planning on doing it but I just wanted to know the price range I should be expecting. any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I paid about $260 for a loaded caliper set and rotors.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
n2nismo said:
i paid $135 from a local wrecking yard.

Lucky bastard! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got mine for $50 at a junkyard, plus I think $35 for the seal kit from the dealer to rebuild them, didn't need it, but rather be safe than sorry.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
^^^

And that modification would be to grind the calipers down to provide clearance for the classic wheels to sit comfortably over the calipers. :)

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
i paid $135 from a local wrecking yard.
Yeah but if it's been there for any amount of time, there will be some rust on the rotors and you have to consider the cost of machining rotors.

With new rotors and a set of quality pads, probably 250-300. Less if you can get them from a junkyard in good shape.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
wow, good find. I found some on a local wrecked NX and they need a rebuild, pretty much only good as cores.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
$106 for 2 loaded NX calipers (after I took back the SE-R ones) :D

$50 for 2 new NX rotors

Total = $156 for brand new nx brakes!

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I talked to one guy that did the conversion and he said that they're really not much of an upgrade. He couldn't really tell the difference. Lots of GTI-R owners overseas (which have the same brakes and regard them as a joke) opt to re-drill 300ZX rotors to 4X100 pattern. If you really want some good brakes, check out the fastbrakes kit at JGY or fastbrakes.com. They're more than twice as expensive, but you'll really feel the difference.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
white classic said:
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I talked to one guy that did the conversion and he said that they're really not much of an upgrade. He couldn't really tell the difference.

This is untrue. For me, it was a night and day difference. The NX2K brakes BITE compared to the SE-R brakes. Hell, the NX calipers are hell of a lot larger than the SE-R units. You think we'd be doing something like this without seeing any advantage of doing it?

SE-R caliper on top and NX caliper on bottom.

SE-R rotor on the left and NX rotor on the right.

Now you can decide for yourself whether the NX brakes will work better than the SE-R brakes or not.

·
Registered
807 Posts
unless you have personally experienced the difference you should keep your 2 cents in your pocket. it is night and day difference for those of us who have done the swap. for the money the nx upgrade is great bang for the buck imo. no offense to you white classic, but the drifference in the brake feel is a big difference no matter what anybody says.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
another consideration...are there Hawk pads available for the AD22 brakes?

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
Didn't mean to offend anyone, just trying to help. Yes, they are bigger, but the fastbrakes come in 11" and 11.75". You should get a picture of the stockers, ad22 and fastbrakes all lined up next to each other. Then you'd really see a difference. This is just my personal opinion here, as I wouldn't want to spend money on a brake kit that I might want to replace in the future.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
white classic said:
Didn't mean to offend anyone, just trying to help. Yes, they are bigger, but the fastbrakes come in 11" and 11.75". You should get a picture of the stockers, ad22 and fastbrakes all lined up next to each other. Then you'd really see a difference. This is just my personal opinion here, as I wouldn't want to spend money on a brake kit that I might want to replace in the future.

You're comparing apples to oranges. We're comparing OEM to OEM units, not OEM to aftermarket. Plus, not everyone can afford to have the Fastbrakes kit. AD22s didn't come stock in the SE-Rs, but they're cheap and work vastly better than the AD18s that came stock in the SE-Rs.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Unless you run your car on the track, a lot, the Fastbrakes kit is way overkill. Just curious if you've driven a Classic with the stock brakes and then an upgraded system. I see where you have alot of upgrades, but nothing about upgraded brakes... I think you'd be surprised.

Peace Out,
Mark

1 - 20 of 67 Posts