SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my front brakes to ad22's and keep my stock SE-R master cylinder with ABS. Will the ABS prevent lockup of the rear brakes with this configuration? I will be using 205/40-16 Khumo's all around.
Also, has anyone tried chrome plating a brake caliper? bad idea? maybe polishing is better? Thanks to all.

------------------
Happiness is not around the corner, it is the corner!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
The swap should be possible. Since the sensor is in the hub not on the rotor as far as I know. As for how it works with the larger brakes I have no clue.

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jayac:
Classics only have front wheel ABS, its not on the rear (unless my car is a mutant!)
Jason
</font>
Not true! The B13's only have 2-channel ABS, but it works on all four wheels.

The system sucks, BTW. It goes on cross corners, so when you lift your inside rear wheel in the middle of a turn, you loose all braking force on the outside front wheel (the one with all the traction!). Mine's disabled.

Rob

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by norurb:
I want to upgrade my front brakes to ad22's and keep my stock SE-R master cylinder with ABS. Will the ABS prevent lockup of the rear brakes with this configuration?
</font>

It will work fine. I have used this setup before.

Rob

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, abs sucks, that is why I don't have it.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does one go about disabling the ABS system? pull a fuse or relay?

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
ya, abs sucks, that is why I don't have it.
</font>
4 channel ABS like what is used in the 200SX kicks ass. ABS can save your ass. It is definitely a plus to performance, if it is a good system. The two channel system on B-13 sucks big piles of dog ****. I almost killed myself at an autox thanks to my crappy ABS. It's been disable permanantly ever since.

I have seen numerous tests where professional race car drivers could not consistantly beat a factory OEM ABS system on street cars.

If Emmerson Fittipaldi can't beat it, neither can you!

Rob

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by norurb:
How does one go about disabling the ABS system? pull a fuse or relay?</font>
The ABS solenoid has a fuse. Pull it, and the system is deactivated. This will trigger an ABS warning light on the dash. The fuse is in the fuse panel next to the driver's knee.

You could also connect a swich and relay to this fuse location, then you could quickly and easily disable the ABS>

Rob

·
Working on it !
433 Posts
is the abs fuse aside the driverss knee located easily does it have a diagram of where it is located

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
So the next question is, wonder how one could put the 200sx abs in my beloved B13 (sans abs)?
I do absolutely love the ad22vf's with Bobcats, but although some on here think the bias is fine, I find mine too front biased - banged up my nose (on the car) because I locked 'em up when the tires were still cold once. I think the solution for my street use (I understand racing guys might want Altima binders in the rear) is to put in a bias regulator. Simple, under a hundred bux, and you get to fiddle with it until it's right.

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Faster men can use ABS. They said the same thing McCoy did about Bruce and Denny and their automatic Group 7 cars - but they pasted everything on the track for years. Early ABS sucked. Late generation ABS can outdrive any of us. I'd give my eye teeth to have a good system (but prefer none to a bad system)

Broke, look at
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294922533+115+4294915216&NeXID=5
and
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294922533+115+4294918719&NeXID=5
on the summit site

I should probably have suggested proportioning valves; easier to install and probably more applicable for our street use. The Lola T660 I crew for - and many other race pieces - have on board adjusters; Marc (last year's #1 S2) actually fiddles with it during a race depending on track conditions.

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
Jer, I won't argue with you. I sure wish I had ABS on those wet track days with the hoosiers on :eek:. With a good ABS (our 05 Outback) system, I don't mind it at all... I just hate the ABS system that is used in our B13 sentra's :(

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Ayup - wish I had ABS, but from everything you guys have said, glad I have straight brakes on my B13. Hear ye.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
McCoy said:
With a good ABS (our 05 Outback) system, I don't mind it at all
I really like Subarus ABS. I found I was pretty quick auto-xing my buddy's 2.5RS with the ABS on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts