SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 93 NX2K I mistakenly set the timing to 20 degrees. It was running great this way. Yesterday I checked it again and moved it back to 15-17. I say that because when the engine fan was running it was at 15 and when the fan wasn't running it was at 17. The car doesn't feel as peppy as it did at 20. Is there a way to safely run 20? Maybe by using only 93 octane gas?

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
i wouldn't recommend running at 20. ive heard it running up to 19 before with nice high octane gas but never 20. you have to remember than when the engine gets hot the bolts expand and when the engine is cold the bolts contract, which can change the timing a little. that maybe how it got back to 15-17??

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Son Of Skyline, how many miles have you had the timing advanced for, and how many total miles do you have?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've run my NX at 21 degrees with as low as 91 octane fuel. Never had any negative effects at all (except for the extra gas price). I routinely filled at least 92. I don't know if there's a difference in power between 19 and 21 degrees, as I never bothered to dial it down since I had no problems. Of course this is in my own car. If you don't feel comfortable going to 20 degrees, don't do it! The only reason I turned down my timing is because of my cams, but since I'm selling them, my car's going back up to 21.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
You can advance the timing past 19 degrees put you really don't gain any power. It's hard to determine with normal timing light what your timing is EXACTLY at. 19-20 is close enough to max. I set mine before to what looked like 20 and said the hell with it, that's good enough and had it like that for a while. I wouldn't worry about it. Mike Jez told me he had his to 25 degrees for several years

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 92nx2k:
i wouldn't recommend running at 20. ive heard it running up to 19 before with nice high octane gas but never 20. you have to remember than when the engine gets hot the bolts expand and when the engine is cold the bolts contract, which can change the timing a little. that maybe how it got back to 15-17??</font>
The difference from 19 to 20 is minimal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Help!!!
When I went to set my timing, the idle
ran away to around 2000rpm.
I followed the procedure on ser.net
- maybe missed something.
can somebody please give me the quick
run down? thanks, fuzz...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts