SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to advance my timing. I hear it's like FREE HORSEPOWER!%$^@ err...yeah. So, what's the most I can go that's safe?

Also, has anyone tried the trick of removing slack in the throttle cable? How's it work for ya?

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I just want to rub it in my dad's eye that a bunch of people will say it's safe. Damn

He doesen't want to advance it yet because I just got a new engine..

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's not worth it. You can't notice any differences. And with the price of gas going up and up, it'll save you money not to do it.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Wouldn't you get a more complete burn, and thus slightly better mileage from advance. Don't buy 87oct ifyou do advance it past like 15. I still get like 25-27 mpg with pop, 17btdc timing, and a greddy. SOTP says it adds power, but its linear power across the band.
Tightening the throttle cable is more imagined than actual power gain I think, but I did I it anyway peas

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bennitto Mallito:

Tightening the throttle cable is more imagined than actual power gain I think, but I did I it anyway
</font>

It just helps the feel, there is no reason it would increase power.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
420 Posts
We'll I think it did add horsepower. There's a stoplight with a speed limit sign and my bro and I use it to compare our cars off the line. Before I advanced my timing I was just under 50mph, now I am around 52 after advancing my timing. Maybe I got better at launching but I think it was the timing. Aren't there dyno charts with people altering the timing?

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; 17* timing; now raising funds for AGX's

·
Registered
705 Posts
Kojima dynoed his car and got 6 or 7ho from advancing his timing

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Toddles82:
We'll I think it did add horsepower. Aren't there dyno charts with people altering the timing?

</font>
Yes I am aware advancing the timing gives more horspower...but taking the slack out of the throttle cable does not, that is what I was referring to.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
420 Posts
yeah I knew yours was about the throttle cable. The general tone started to sound like advancing the timing was worth it, and I was putting my $.02 in and say it was. The throttle cable and I didn't notice as much, but I didn't expect to.

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; 17* timing; now raising funds for AGX's

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
i think timing does as much as the pop or even more in some parts of the powerband. definitely. I wanna try this rotor trick too!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
You can run 17 degrees and 87 octane with the stock cams. I noticed some performance increase.
Most people have taken the slack out of their throttle cable. I like it better. Just make sure you leave a little slack. You should be able to push down on the (bare metal visible part) wire and see the wire move A LITTLE without moving the throttle plate.

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts