SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the board, and have been looking for a classic in Texas. I'm going to look at a 91 SE-R near Dallas tomorrow.

Seller is 2nd owner(verified it on car fax also), 146,000 miles, white w sunroof. He has had it 4 years and bought it w 72,000 miles on it. Owner says body and interior are near perfect, says no 5th gear pop-out, new tires, replaced speakers, recent tune-up and receipts for $1100 in various repairs over past 4 years (most in last 6 months), no leaks or drips, uses no oil. Says he has maint records and receipts to show me.

Says both he and previous owner used only mobile1 synthetic, and regular maint. He's asking $3,000. I'm driving 200 miles to check it out because it sounds to be in good condition, but the high mileage concerns me (I'll be selling a Miata w only 52,000 miles, need a back seat but want a fun car and like to modify them).

Says it's all stock w no mods. Any advice for me? Whats a good way to check 5th gear pop-out other than driving in 5th and getting on and off the gas? Departing tomorrow AM (11 hours from now).

Thanks for any hints

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
o.k dude. a couple of things. What do you plan to do with the car?(daily driver, light mods, street killer,) How much do you know about cars? Imports?
1)clutch?
2)Tranny?
3)evidence of accidents?
4)Engine?
5)make sure bluebook (www.kbb.com) is ok.
hope I helped. I drove like 140 miles to get mine '96 SE-R.. and it was well worth it

·
Registered
723 Posts
awesome! i saw that on the classifieds today!!

i got the 93 listed at 5000$ last week. its a 5sp w/ 74k miles and in excellent condition. it came with a full alpine system and after some HARD negociations i got it down to $3,800.

for a car with that mileage i guess your best bet is to run a compression check. ive never experienced the 5th gear pop out...

on a side note i think carfax is USELESS. it doesnt really tell you anything that you can easily find out

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue book retail is $3500. I'd use it as a daily driver, start w light mods, possibly progress to heavier mods (headers, intake, cams, ECU, pulleys, struts, clutch etc).
The traany makes me nevrous with the miles, and I need to check whether it's original struts, clutch etc. I can get 7K for the Miata, and that'll give me 3-4 K for the SE-R fixes and upgrades.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bennitto Mallito:
o.k dude. a couple of things. What do you plan to do with the car?(daily driver, light mods, street killer,) How much do you know about cars? Imports?
1)clutch?
2)Tranny?
3)evidence of accidents?
4)Engine?
5)make sure bluebook (www.kbb.com) is ok.
hope I helped. I drove like 140 miles to get mine '96 SE-R.. and it was well worth it
</font>

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you in the DFW area? Know of any other SE-Rs? Auto trader on line doesn't have any, and I bought the Dallas paper up here to find this one. Been watching for over a month now, in a 200 mile radius (San Anton, Lubbock, Austin, DFW). I see 200 SX's with between 43,000 miles - 56,000 miles for $7800 (95 w 53,ooo) and 10K (97 w 56,000). Saw a 96 on auto trader with 42,ooo miles for 8700. Really want a 91-94, but wonder if I shouldn't pop for a low mileage 95-97 200 SX SER?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
awesome! i saw that on the classifieds today!!

i got the 93 listed at 5000$ last week. its a 5sp w/ 74k miles and in excellent condition. it came with a full alpine system and after some HARD negociations i got it down to $3,800.

for a car with that mileage i guess your best bet is to run a compression check. ive never experienced the 5th gear pop out...

on a side note i think carfax is USELESS. it doesnt really tell you anything that you can easily find out
</font>

·
Registered
723 Posts
these things are hard to find... even more so with the classic. the last b13 i saw for sale was last summer, it had 120k miles but was beat up as hell!!! dents and dings everywhere and a ripped headliner.

the 200sx's do pop up once in a while though... but theyre almost exclusively from dealers... and their asking price is cutthroat. so if you want a low mileage car i guess you can wait.. else just snatch this one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts