SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i told you all i was going to be installing the AEBS this past weekend. Heres my recap:

What a PITA!! A coupel people told me, yeah the install is more difficult than the HS, but not really a big deal, just more to take apart to get it in there. Well, it was this on top of the fact that i have the worst luck with cars and installations, that made this install so damn hard. First, we had a hell of a time gettin it to go on the studs. It just wouldnt manuver right. I ended up bending the AC lines ever so slightly, and pulling them back, so we could squeeze the headder in there. Then, i start bolting it up. 2 bolts were a real pain, the 2 closest to the alternator, they are really hard to get to. Next was the EGR tube. We tried for hours, literally HOURS to get the egr fitting to thread into the header. We tried everything, bending the tube, disconnecting the tube, loosening the header, whatever, it just would not catch threads with the header. So i ended up just tightening it in there as best i could(it would go in 2 threads then stop), then i banged it in a little more with a hammer(mans best freind, heh)I put electrical tape around the tube right next to the fitting to try to help stop a little leak. It didnt really help. Then i had to solder some wires in order to relocate the o2 sensor, that went ok, lol. Well, they didnt send me a plug for the little hole that is right next to the o2 sensor, so i ran to the hardware store and bought a bolt that fits in there. they didnt have metric bolts, so its not the tightest fit of course, so i have a leak there. I put some stuff around the leaks called J-B cold weld in order to seal em up. i will let you all know if that works, if not, im gonna have to go get this **** welded up with a real welder. So i cant really give impressions yet, cuz its not at its best....YET! Actually i did notice a little gain in power, but im sure ill notice it better when my leaks are all sealed up!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

T

·
0 Posts
Has anyone installed these without problems? Seems like everyone runs into the same snags?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by twentyfivecharacters:
Has anyone installed these without problems? Seems like everyone runs into the same snags? </font>
Naa, i think im actually the first person to have problems with the EGR not goin in right, its odd, youd have to se it. Others have had problems with gettin it up past the Ac lines like i said. some poepl just removed it, i opted not to, and thats what i get for that! And im not sure about the plug by the 02 sensor, maybe they just forgot mine, but its getting fixed permanently anyways so whatever. Anyways, the header i must say is a quality piece. No signs of rust, welds look good, and it wasnt too short or too long or anythign like that.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
858 Posts
same **** here with my stilen 4-1 cer. header. I had to pay some **** to do put the egr fitting in cause I was ready to flip! he finally did it by loosening almost every thing associated with the ****. and he still took like 2 hours just for that.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by twentyfivecharacters:
Has anyone installed these without problems? Seems like everyone runs into the same snags? </font>
I didn't have any problems. Smooth like butta. It is a test of patience, taking your time definetly pays off in the end. I would not hesitate to recammend it to anyone. I do think an exhuast is a must. I installed mine with the courtesy B-pipe and stock muffler. Test drove it, not much of a difference. Reinstalled my courtesy muffler and wow it was significantly faster. But, thats just my butt dyno talkin.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, and Pretty looking pedals and shift knob

·
Registered
448 Posts
How does one say this without beind disrespectfull...Hmmm.

I guess it all comes down to mechanical experience. Sounds to me like you forced things where they were not supposed to be forced, cross threaded some things in, put the wrong bolts in etc etc. No disrespect, just an observation.

I took my time, put the car on nice high jack stands, and everything went well.

I pulled my low side AC hose off. Your lucky you didn't crack the compressor ear off where that hose bolts in. In fact I would check the AC system for leaks and/or if it works. You may have put a hairline fracture in it. It's pretty common for people to do that.

For the EGR...if it don't go in, don't force it. Rule number one in mechanic work. If it doesn't feel right...it's probably NOT right.

All you have to do is loosen the big nut by the EGR valve and that will give enough play to put in back in. It's really that simple.

You do need a 10mm metric bolt for hte EGT hole. All you have to do is get the proper nut (stop by the dealer, they have piles of them) and wrench it in...provided you didn't strip the threads already in there. Same for the EGR.

Things like electrical tape and **** is ghetto man...do it right or don't do it at all. Your just going to have trouble later on. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's the reality.

It just a matter of patience and thinking. If it doesn't fit don't force it. Figure out why it's not going in and correct it.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 03-28-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dude, I totally feel for you. I got those in and just took them and my car (92NX) to a shop. They cut and welded a new AIV fitting (colorado emissions) and then plugged the EGT hole. They even had trouble with the EGR, I don't know what they did, but they called and said it would be a lttle extra due to the amount of time it took to get that on. in all I spent over 300 for the installation, most of it due to the AIV crap.

If I were you, I'd weld a 2001 quarter over that egt hole...

Love the headers though, glad I went with them, would'nt recommend them to another NXer who wants to do it himself though.

still running the stock muffler, change that out before summer.

All in all, has great pull, and longer pull.

Mciin1

·
Registered
254 Posts
The install process is more involved than the Hotshot, as each one who owns an AEBS can attest.

As Jay mentioned, I used a #10 metric bolt, 1/4" long to plug the EGT.

As an interesting side note, I ordered my header before the EGR was available - the AEBS was still "just" a race header. I spent quite a while researching the effects of the EGR on engine operation, both pro and con, and opted to go without. I have since passed 2 emmissions tests with flying colors in my 98 SE. I understand that it might not pass a visual inspection in Cali, or elsewhere, but I am well within the government determined "safe operating limits" for an OBDII car.

CB

PS. As the AEBS was originally a race-only header, it was not designed to go into an engine bay with all the AC equipment. Hence, the difficulty incurred during installation.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jay, i understand and thank you for your help. We tried for hours on that damn fitting, and it just would not go, i dont know why, maybe the fittong or header was stripped even before i started trying.

MarC, i guess you put that frekain pic up. you are crazy, man, lol. For those of you who werent there, its just a naked rubber doll, threy pinned to a dart board in my garage, then just started throwing more datrs in it! We are cray guys to work with, tryin to install a header wiht darts fylin!

Today, i went to AutoZone, and bought J-B cold weld. I put it around the bolt i put in th EGT hole, and around the EGR fitting, to stop the leaks. ill find out if it works tomorow, cuz it takes 6 hours to set, and i wont drive the car tongiht. if it doesnt, ill try putting it on a little thicker, and if still no luck, im taking it to get welded for real. After all this the header should be in good working shape.

------------------

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hmmm.....it's Thursday......is the header on yet??!

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - with the $hitty stock cams, 14's this season

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Hmmm.....it's Thursday......is the header on yet??!

</font>
What are oyu tlaking about? Its been done!

------------------

·
Registered
858 Posts
Man that jb weld is good stuff for intake manifolds as well as for filling in holes for drilling and retapping. but a header is really hot. I hope it works out for you though.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
Man that jb weld is good stuff for intake manifolds as well as for filling in holes for drilling and retapping. but a header is really hot. I hope it works out for you though.

</font>
thats another thing i wanted to ask....How hot exactly can the header get? and also doewn by the collector? Cuz the JB weld containers say its good to 600 degrees, i doubted it when i first put it on, but it seems to be holding up so far :-D

------------------

·
Registered
466 Posts
A friend of mine used JB weld on his HS header where the legendary crack between the #1 and #4 primary meet, and it lasted about a week. Get the hole welded up, or find the right size bolt and maybe have that tack welded in place. One thing, if you are having anything welded to your car, remove the negative cable and pull the ECU out. You have to ground the welder to the car, and the last thing you want to do it fry the ECU.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Eric. Yeah, anyways, Im pretty sure its still holding up, cuz my car hasnt gotten any louder ort anything, but i havent looked, to see for myself if the stuff is still working. I have to wai till thursday when i have a couple days off to check it out. If the stuff doesnt look good then, then ill have to take it somewhere to get the shieet welded.

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts