SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AEM bypass valve can not be used with the AEM intake for the SR20. Greg from AEM's R&D Department specifically stated it should not be used at all, even with cutting. He said the only area it could be located would significantly degrade performance and we certainly wouldn't want that! As far as AEM still honoring the warranty if you were to install the Bypass Valve anyway? I do not know. I located AEM's phone # from there website. I suggest you call and ask for Greg in R&D.

I'm personally very disappointed with AEM. A warranted and functional Bypass Valve was a deciding factor for me to sell my Place Racing CAI (at a loss) in order to purchase the AEM CAI and Bypass Valve. That and the claimed 4-6 rwhp gain above Place Racing's CAI's performance. It should be noted that the alleged performance advantage has yet to be publicly documented, as far as I know. This products incompatibilities are not documented in AEM's product and marketing literature or even on AEM'S own website. When questioned retailers have not a clue even though AEM has claimed they have informed their dealers of the incompatibility. My dealer shipped my CAI with a Bypass Valve!

When I expressed my concern to Greg about losing the protection the Bypass Valve offers with AEM's other CAI Systems, he assured me that "someone would have to be pretty stupid to submerge the filter to the extent it would cause engine hydrolock." And in all of AEM's experience "they have only one documented case of hydrolock related engine failure." According to Greg "it was some fool driving in three feet of water that submerged the front-end of the car up to the bumper. Interesting anecdotes from a company that sells a boat load of AEM Bypass Valves on the basis of peoples fears, real or imagined. I guess the risk tolerance depends on the audience. Or maybe it's just a case of situational marketing? For my sake and for others, I hope to hell Greg's right. We get some serious rain down hear in Florida. Hope this was of some value. Good luck and think dry!

------------------
93 SE-R JWT S3 Cams, JWT ECU, JWT Pop-Charger, HS Header,RT Cat, HKS exhaust, Hypercoils, KYB-AGX, ST Sways, N-Tech Brace, Stillen STB, SMC SS.

·
Registered
723 Posts
he's right... u gotta be pretty stupid to hydrolock ur engine. besides, when its raining season, just do a short muont or whatever they call it

·
Registered
44 Posts
So you guys only worry about submersion? I have never dipped the whole front end of a car into water so I'm not worried about doing it now. I just thought there were peolpe worried about throwing enough water on the filter such as driving on a highway. Should be pretty safe with the fender guards in place but what about traveling long distance on a highway during a storm? Or would that be considered pretty stupid to do with a CAI?

·
Registered
424 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but what about traveling long distance on a highway during a storm? Or would that be considered pretty stupid to do with a CAI?</font>
I drove from Richmond Va. to my house in a somewhat steady rain. Its typically a 3 or 4hr ride with no problems at all. At times the rain would be so hard that I simply couldn't see. My speed varied according to the conditions but was between 65 to 30 mph.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts