SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, contrary to what I've heard, it fits like a glove. The CAI had absolutley no fitment problems, and the valve went on like the CAI was made for it. Now I have no worries about wet weather driving. Note- the '01 B15's have a MUCH larger hole in the fender, where the resonator meets the bottom of the airbox, so it was a piece of cake to make the 3" pipe go thru. Hope this helps someone out there.

------------------
Wheel gap is the enemy. "Silver" 2001 SE w/perf.pkg, PR CAI, Intrax.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry- I have really limited use of a scanner- it will take a couple weeks to get pics. The instructions said to put it as high as possible, but NOT between the MAF and the throttle body, which left me with little choice, as the battery is right beside the hole in the fender that the cai goes down. So I cut the cai beside the battery, and there it sits. What a beatch of a cut!! But after loosening all the rubber flanges so each would bend as little, I wrestled it into place. Its not as high as I'd like, as it's probably only about 8-10" above my K&N filter, but it is in the engine compartment instead of the fender, and I figure somethings better than nothing. All I have to say is- Don't believe the hype. I bought both pieces sight unseen, and made them work. I like to think I've never met a piece of plastic that I wasn't smarter than~! Sport Compact Car said they were always nervous about using a CAI on their project cars, so there's no way I'd run my new baby without the valve. I will get pics if you guys really want. (be patient) The valve was $44 us, or $66 Can.

------------------
Wheel gap is the enemy. "Silver" 2001 SE w/perf.pkg, PR CAI, Intrax.

[This message has been edited by audio1der (edited 05-28-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by audio1der:
Sorry- I have really limited use of a scanner- it will take a couple weeks to get pics. The instructions said to put it as high as possible, but NOT between the MAF and the throttle body, which left me with little choice, as the battery is right beside the hole in the fender that the cai goes down. So I cut the cai beside the battery, and there it sits. What a beatch of a cut!! But after loosening all the rubber flanges so each would bend as little, I wrestled it into place. Its not as high as I'd like, as it's probably only about 8-10" above my K&N filter, but it is in the engine compartment instead of the fender, and I figure somethings better than nothing. All I have to say is- Don't believe the hype. I bought both pieces sight unseen, and made them work. I like to think I've never met a piece of plastic that I wasn't smarter than~! Sport Compact Car said they were always nervous about using a CAI on their project cars, so there's no way I'd run my new baby without the valve. I will get pics if you guys really want. (be patient) The valve was $44 us, or $66 Can.

</font>
Just wondering, what does this by pass valve do? Thanks

------------------
Jorge

'96 SE-R

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Do just what it's called. "By-pass" water that may have been sucked up by the air filter to prevent it from hydrolocking the engine.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Sounds like more trouble than its worth. The filter is protected in the bumper. I have driven in heavy rain with mine without a problem. The amount of water that needs to be injected in to hydro lock a motor is a lot. Anyone see the article that AEM had to recall several by-pass valves because they were inverting and going into motors???

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
441 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Anyone see the article that AEM had to recall several by-pass valves because they were inverting and going into motors???

</font>
Yes..and AEM has already dealt with this issue quite a while ago. So no worries.

------------------
Chris Alfonso
AIM: RaySERinSD
1992 Honda Civic HB DX
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R (RIP)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know, I am in the middle of a swap and it is way too much trouble if you can't do it yourself, I would rather shell out $40 and play it safe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I read about the recall, but that was only for older valves. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble, but not as much as an engine swap, which I can;t afford. Gotta keep it fresh for future mods!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts