SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just thought I'd share a quick story about what happened to me last Sunday night. Well I come out of a Wendy's where some friends were in the drive through. I decided to give em a little show so I hit my NOS, and took off like a bat out of hell. 1st gear fine, second made a nice loud bark, 3rd time to let off. Well guess what. Throttle was stuck wide open. So I immediately cut the ignition. Thought maybe it was a fluke and go to start it again. WIDE OPEN! Shut it off and coast to a stop. So now it's 1:00am and I'm sitting in my car on the side of the road as my damn food is getting cold (BTW there Monterey Ranch isn't too bad). So my friend pulls up that I just showed off for. Well we get to poking around and I thought maybe my throttle cable stuck or busted. Check the pedal, fine. Check the TB a bunch of slack. Well I start fooling with the TB and it feels like something was stuck in there. So I loosen the CAI and pull it back and what do I see. MY AEM BYPASS VALVE. Just barely clinging on for dear life on my throttle plate. So I pulled it out and rigged it up so I could get home. By this time I had an audience. Which consisted of one of my towns fine sheriffs. Well he asked if I thought the car would be fine on the way home, I told him sure I just can't race anyone. He seemed to get a kick out of it. Then he looked in my trunk and saw my blue bottle and just shook his head. Well the moral of this story is, the damn bypass' are on a nationwide recall unbeknownst to me. Seems that this has happened to a few other people. Luckily mine got caught on the TB plate. So I fixed it now and it seems to be working fine. So we'll see..

------------------
96 se-r with a few goodies

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts

[This message has been edited by borguesian (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
wow, that sucks. Hey are u keeping that NOS when you get ur Stage II turbo? If you run both your car is going to be sickly fast! By the way, I love the modified Nis-knacks grill. It looks way better that the grill did before, to bad I sold mine.

------------------
Greg Taylor
96 SE-R w/ stuff
"Walk tall and carry a big stick..."

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah most likely I'll keep both, but I have no kind of timeline as to when I'll be getting the fmax, so I'll be on the NOS for a while. Yeah I like the grille much more now too. I had some guy try and buy it from me at the track last night.

[This message has been edited by Matt4Nissan (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
NX2K Junkie
448 Posts
While I have your attention I'd like to ask you what your feelings are on the Zex kit. I've heard it is one of the safest NO2 kits out there. Do you have any experience with it? Is it better that NOS's setup? TIA

S

·
0 Posts
that sucks man!, but it is a problem that is happening everywhere. I work an import shop out here and about a month or two ago we received a memo from AEM re: the problem. It seems that from certain date and on the production of these pieces was bad. The foam comes off the valve and there u have it.

The remedy was solved by inserting a round plastic ring that when installed sits inside the groove in the foam very tightly. U should be able to go back to where it was purchased and get one of these rings. The install should be cake!

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
**** an AEM product...hehe..

------------------
Is that a honda? What is that silver thing?

·
Pew Pew Pew
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I got the ring, unfortunately the damn AEM bypass thing busted into like 3 pieces. I rigged it up though. So it's straight. As for my feelings on the zex kit. I personally love my NOS kit. It's not rocket science to use nitrous. All I do is arm my system by a switch. Then the NOS is triggered when the car is at WOT. There's a micro switch on my TB that controls it. Now granted I'm only spraying a 60 shot. If you're just looking for that I don't think it really matters what kit you use. Now if you're wanting to go higher then 60-70 you need to do some research. Because then you run into the problem of your stock fuel system leaning out.

[This message has been edited by Matt4Nissan (edited 07-07-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts