SR20 Forum banner

AEM CAI

762 views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  RollcageSR20 
#1 ·
I talked to Dave Cumming from cox import and will sell them to us for 225$ shiped. Anyone interested?

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mpg9999:
I talked to Dave Cumming from cox import and will sell them to us for 225$ shiped. Anyone interested?</font>
Hell yes. But how do I install the bypass valve?

#10 ·
Before you buy, I think you should wait for some independent dyno testing. Be prudent. Do not repeat my mistake

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

#14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nx2kPA:
What is so good about the AEM CAI?

</font>
I heard they did a lot of dyno tuning with lengths and pipe diameters. This was not the case with PR and HS did minimal testing.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, Coming attractions: Toda Racing cams

#16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
does AEM make a short intake for the high port SR20? CAI's aren't worth 2 shits on NX's, i hear..

</font>
Not unless you build it like I did. Look at this!

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ianjiggyroom/images/Warm_Cai.JPG

But since I changed spoilers I got a shot of air going to where the CAI is supposed to end. The foglamp bracket is gone and I have a air route. I am willing to give the CAI a try.

#17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
I think you need to buy a box of Q-tips to get that earwax out, dude.

So the NX doesn't have a straight shot of air coming through the foglight opening... Big deal! CAI's make their power not solely because of the cold air (which it is still picking up considering the filter location). You're forgetting other variables like the tube length, resonance, and the smoothness of the tubes as compared to the convoluted mess of the stock rubber intake hose. Think about it for a moment... It's already been proven that a CAI makes more hp compared to stock and standard underhood intake. Do you think those tests were done with the foglight removed to facilitate ram air?

You want the best intake for your car? Can't get any better than a CAI, or Ian's CAI alternative above.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R
</font>
Andrew thing is that in a classic if you are looking thru what is supposed to be the brake duct in the chin spoiler you are going to see the airfilter. That is a definate plus for the CAi @ high rpms. The NX2000 has no place for air to go to the filter. At higher rpms the car will be chocking (IMO) becasue there is no additional air being supplied to the intake. It is sort of boxed in. At lower rpms I would not think this would be a problem. That is why Ray K. posted of someone in a NX2K losing like 5hp with it at high rpms. I know that when I had the Place racing intake on my car it felt slow asa dog at high rpms. I took it off as soon as I put it on. At that point I liked the JWT POP with the Warm air set up the best. I still sort of like that set up best cause my car used to chirp 3rd gear with that set up as opposed to the CAI which I could barely chirp 2nd in back ot back comparison tests. As a matter of fact I have that test on tape posted on the net. I will post the URL as soon as I get off the webtv server and go to my PC.

#18 ·
#19 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
Andrew thing is that in a classic if you are looking thru what is supposed to be the brake duct in the chin spoiler you are going to see the airfilter. That is a definate plus for the CAi @ high rpms.</font>
Don't forget the B14, as the foglight is in front of the filter and would be blocking airflow.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The NX2000 has no place for air to go to the filter. At higher rpms the car will be chocking (IMO) becasue there is no additional air being supplied to the intake. It is sort of boxed in.
</font>
But that statement would also apply to the B14's as there is no additional air as well. If that area where the filter is located is completely sealed and airtight, then you have a case, but that area is NOT sealed and airtight.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">At lower rpms I would not think this would be a problem. That is why Ray K. posted of someone in a NX2K losing like 5hp with it at high rpms.</font>
I would be really interested in seeing this dyno chart if you could get your hands on it. Losing 5hp at high RPM's compared to what? JWT POP? Stock Airbox? Open Airbox?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I know that when I had the Place racing intake on my car it felt slow asa dog at high rpms. I took it off as soon as I put it on. At that point I liked the JWT POP with the Warm air set up the best.</font>
SOTP and IYHO.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I still sort of like that set up best cause my car used to chirp 3rd gear with that set up as opposed to the CAI which I could barely chirp 2nd in back ot back comparison tests.</font>
I really don't think that has any bearing on whether the CAI works or not.

It works... It's been proven. It draws cold air from outside of the engine bay. The smoothness and length of the intake piping also contribute to the power gains. You can't tell me that a CAI isn't worth it on an NX, though I would be more inclined to believe that a CAI doesn't work as well on an NX as it does on a Classic.

Apples to oranges comparison: AEM CAI's for the Honda cars. I remember installing one on a friend's '98 Integra GS-R. Filter is completely blocked from fender liner to bumper cover (though removing the turn signal lens helps). I would have to say it is as blocked as in the NX, though by really inaccurate SOTP impressions, the car indeed felt faster, though we didn't dyno the car or take it to the track to see how much of a difference. But seeing other dyno charts for the same car on SCC, it gained power... It gained good power.

Okay... I'm losing track on where this discussion is going... But going back to the original post...

silversx: They are worth it... Whether you want to spend the money on one is your choice. You still have the JWT POP as your alternative... Considering you're so concerned with getting an underhood intake, just get a POP and be done with it.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000 (open airbox for increased sonic performance and ghetto cheapness)
1998 200SX SE-R (Hotshot CAI, birthday present)

[This message has been edited by RollcageSR20 (edited 09-14-2001).]

#20 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silversx:
does AEM make a short intake for the high port SR20? CAI's aren't worth 2 shits on NX's, i hear..
</font>
I think you need to buy a box of Q-tips to get that earwax out, dude.

So the NX doesn't have a straight shot of air coming through the foglight opening... Big deal! CAI's make their power not solely because of the cold air (which it is still picking up considering the filter location). You're forgetting other variables like the tube length, resonance, and the smoothness of the tubes as compared to the convoluted mess of the stock rubber intake hose. Think about it for a moment... It's already been proven that a CAI makes more hp compared to stock and standard underhood intake. Do you think those tests were done with the foglight removed to facilitate ram air?

You want the best intake for your car? Can't get any better than a CAI, or Ian's CAI alternative above.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.