SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my AEM CAI today ($220 shipped). If the weather is okay (There was a tornado today, first time ive ever seen one here) ill install it on wednesday. Ill take pictures but someone is going to have to tell me how in the world to post pictures. Has anyone else installed this CAI befor? If you have, got any tips? This is the first mod im doing to my car. Finally my car wont be stock!!! Next mod, Headers.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Congrats on your first mod! Unfortunately, you're going to be on your own with the install since the AEM CAI just came out. I'm sure others that got the same CAI can help out...but, installing it shouldn't be too bad. I'm hoping AEM did their homework and it fits together nicely. Just do not drop the MAF!!! A new one will cost you ~$200.

Good luck! And let us know how it feels! Good choice in a first mod.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
a slow [email protected] on JWT 50 shot
Bay Area, CA

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
It can't be any different than installing a HS or PR CAI. Just remove all the old intake stuff and replace it. Only thing I'm not sure about is the fittment of the air filter at the end.

Do post pics ASAP when finished though.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mpg9999:
I finally got my AEM CAI today ($220 shipped). If the weather is okay (There was a tornado today, first time ive ever seen one here) ill install it on wednesday. Ill take pictures but someone is going to have to tell me how in the world to post pictures. Has anyone else installed this CAI befor? If you have, got any tips? This is the first mod im doing to my car. Finally my car wont be stock!!! Next mod, Headers.</font>

Where the heck did you get that AEM CAI?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Do you have to cut sheet metal to install this intake? I plan on running STS next year and sheet metal cutting is a no no!

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the intake from cox import. If you want the phone number i can find it for you. I think some cutting is involved to install it. Ill tell you tommorow after I do what exactly it is you cut. I think there is some sort small hole under the stock intake box and you make that hole bigger. Ill post pictures after I do it if you guys tell me how. Why do you say cutting sheat metal is a no no?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Why do you say cutting sheat metal is a no no?</font>
I believe it is because the rules only allow the use of existing holes to facilitate cold-air induction. Holes cannot be drilled or enlarged.

Hmm... I haven't kept up with SCCA Solo2 Street Touring rules lately, but I could have swarn it was a rule that applies to SCCA Club Racing's Improved Touring category. Don't remember reading that same rule for Street Touring, or even Street Prepared for that matter.

Must get myself Solo2 rulebook and Club Racing GCR book.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
I believe it is because the rules only allow the use of existing holes to facilitate cold-air induction. Holes cannot be drilled or enlarged.
</font>
I think the following rule is what says you can't enlarge holes for a CAI:

"No unauthorized modifications are permitted in order to accommodate authorized modifications."

In other words, the rules don't specifically say you CAN cut metal to enlarge a hole for an intake, so it's not authorized. If the rules don't say you can, then you can't.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
I finally got my AEM CAI today ($220 shipped). If the weather is okay (There was a tornado today, first time ive ever seen one here) ill install it on wednesday. Ill take pictures but someone is going to have to tell me how in the world to post pictures. Has anyone else installed this CAI befor? If you have, got any tips? This is the first mod im doing to my car. Finally my car wont be stock!!! Next mod, Headers.</font>
Do you atleast know what the part number is for the AEM CAI? And the air-bypass valve? Thanks....

------------------
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (

·
Registered
174 Posts
Please post about your install experience. Pictures would be a plus! I also thought I would mention this again.
================================

The AEM bypass valve can not be used with the AEM intake for the SR20. Greg from AEM's R&D Department specifically stated it should not be used at all, even with cutting. He said the only area it could be located would significantly degrade performance and we certainly wouldn't want that! As far as AEM still honoring the warranty if you were to install the Bypass Valve anyway? I do not know. I located AEM's phone # from there website. I suggest you call and ask for Greg in R&D.

I'm personally very disappointed with AEM. A warranted and functional Bypass Valve was a deciding factor for me to sell my Place Racing CAI (at a loss) in order to purchase the AEM CAI and Bypass Valve. That and the claimed 4-6 rwhp gain above Place Racing's CAI's performance. It should be noted that the alleged performance advantage has yet to be publicly documented, as far as I know. This products incompatibilities are not documented in AEM's product and marketing literature or even on AEM'S own website. When questioned retailers have not a clue even though AEM has claimed they have informed their dealers of the incompatibility. My dealer shipped my CAI with a Bypass Valve!

When I expressed my concern to Greg about losing the protection the Bypass Valve offers with AEM's other CAI Systems, he assured me that "someone would have to be pretty stupid to submerge the filter to the extent it would cause engine hydrolock." And in all of AEM's experience "they have only one documented case of hydrolock related engine failure." According to Greg "it was some fool driving in three feet of water that submerged the front-end of the car up to the bumper. Interesting anecdotes from a company that sells a boat load of AEM Bypass Valves on the basis of peoples fears, real or imagined. I guess the risk tolerance depends on the audience. Or maybe it's just a case of situational marketing? For my sake and for others, I hope to hell Greg's right. We get some serious rain down hear in Florida. Hope this was of some value. Good luck and think dry!

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts