SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,my front rotors have to be changed in about 2 weeks and since i'm going turbo this spring I want to know what rotors should I put to replace my old ones. I want some cross-drilled rotors but I dont know what company does it for our nx2000. If you guys, have some information please write it! thanks!

sorry for the bad english

------------------
Nissan Nx2000 1992 - currently stock

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Unless you are going just for the look of the cross drilled rotors I would recomend nothing more than the stock rotors.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks SENTRASER!!
and Bowlcut,This spring I will turbocharged my car and it will be daily driven so I want it to stop quicker than now... and more security never hurt someone..

------------------
Nissan Nx2000 1992 - no cat,
timing advanced to about 18-19 and
[email protected](G-Tech...)

·
egg-less
348 Posts
I have had KVR pads for 2 years now (approx. 20-25k miles, and I LOVE them! Those and the SS brake lines REALLY improve pedal feel. The hotter the pads get, the better they stop. I've autox a couple of times and never had a problem with fade or anything. Plus, I checked the pads this spring, and there is at least 75% still on them. Also, a LOT less dust than stock pads! I got mine from CyberSpace Automotive Performance.

I also had my fluid changed to one of the good racing fluids (can't remember if it was Motul or Redline), just as an added measure of safety.

I'm not alone here when I say that any HP improvements should have corresponding braking improvements.

[This message has been edited by aknapp (edited 10-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by aknapp (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Séb_-Nx:
ok,my front rotors have to be changed in about 2 weeks and since i'm going turbo this spring I want to know what rotors should I put to replace my old ones. I want some cross-drilled rotors but I dont know what company does it for our nx2000. If you guys, have some information please write it! thanks!

sorry for the bad english

</font>
http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/
part number DBA901X
So Daryl doesn't have to look it up again...thats the name of the guy you want to talk to...they cost $99.00 each..the rears at $77.00 each...
the web-site for the manufaturers of these cross drilled and slotted rottors is http://dba.com.au/
I am going to buy these when I do the big brake upgrade on my sentra or if I buy an NX2000...I belive them to be good quality...later man...take a look at these..

~~Ryan

------------------
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot aknapp!
this shoul help me!

[This message has been edited by Séb_-Nx (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
And if you think cross drilled rotors will help your stopping, i have some cross drilled brake lines that work wonders....</font>
sorry...but what mean wonders??

------------------

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
And if you think cross drilled rotors will help your stopping, i have some cross drilled brake lines that work wonders....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cross drilled rotors aren't going to help you stop any faster on a daily driven car. If you were racing the car, then there might be an advantage. If you just want the cross drilled rotors because they look cool, then go for it, but don't think they will make you stop any better. They will eat up your pads faster, though.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but the purpose of the cross drilled rotors is to vent heat and dust created by the brakes. For street driving, you won't get the brakes warmed up enough for the cross drilled rotors to do you any good. In addition, the cross drilling removes some of the surface area of the rotor. Less surface area = longer stopping distance.

Just get stock rotors, put some performance street pads on, change the brake fluid, bleed the brakes, and you'll be good. I personally run Porterfield R4S pads and Castrol GT-LMA fluid.

Ben
'93 NX

·
egg-less
348 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
They will eat up your pads faster, though.</font>
That MAY be true, but I am very happy with the KVR pad wear with cross drilled rotors (see earlier post)...

Not trying to start something, but there are a lot of factors involved with braking. Another point could be made that with cross drilled rotor, you are removing some weight from the rotor, so your stopping distances should be less, yadda, yadda, yadda. In my opinion, most of these things mean inches of difference not feet for braking distances and maybe a few hundred miles (or a thousand even) in pad wear. FOR ME (not anyone else), that is insignificant. For someone else, it may not be.

That said, I totally agree that for street only applications, unless you have mega HP (more than just bolt ons), the ADV22F (or whatever), the bigger brakes with stock rotors and aftermarket pads offer PLENTY of stopping power. Porterfield, KVR, MetalMaster, etc. would be an effective and cost-effective upgrade.

Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok,thanks you! but I dont rains have something to do with the x-drilled rotors.I really think x-drilled rotors can help you stopping faster cause it do in my dad's car

------------------

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok,thanks you! but I dont rains have something to do with the x-drilled rotors.I really think x-drilled rotors can help you stopping faster cause it do in my dad's car
</font>
Umm.... Do you have any proof of that, or is that just your opinion?

If your dad switched to X-drilled rotors and switched to performance pads and bled the brakes at the same time, I would bet that the new pads and brake bleeding did more for performance than the X-drilled rotors.

Ben
'93 NX

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He have an Acura 1.6El(honda civic ex for you) and he put honda accord wagon calipers(I dont know wich years) with some performance pads with,I think i'm not sure of this,prelude rotors or type r that he perfored himself.When he have this configuration of brakes with drum brakes in rear,it was braking like 100% better and know he put prelude rotors in the rear that he slottered himself and it's now braking much better than before,I want my car to brake like that..

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
There is no more security with cross drilled rotors, unless you're refering to the job security of the x-drilled rotor marketing people. They will not stop you any faster either. They will cost you more, however, and crack.

Instead, get better brake pads. Porterfield R4S, KVR, and Hawk HP+ are good compounds. Very good coefficient of friction and don't fade as easily as temperatures rise.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
What is the point of the holes? The x-drilled rotor manufacturer may say it's to allow brake pad gasses to escape, reducing fade. Sounds plausible. I counter with this argument: If your pads are fading, you are exceeding the operation temperature of the pads. Get better brake pads. Why are trying to solve a brake pad problem with rotors?

I strongly suspect the holes *might* be useful when driving in rain. They could give the moisture somewhere to go rather than keep the pad from clamping the rotor. I suspect this is why a lot of motorcycles have x-drilled rotors. Their brakes are exposed to the elements. Makes sense. However, automotive brakes are surrounded by the wheel and tire and have a splash shield on the back side. Very, very difficult for water to get onto the rotors unless you drive through a deep puddle.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If your dad switched to X-drilled rotors and switched to performance pads and bled
the brakes at the same time, I would bet that the new pads and brake bleeding did
more for performance than the X-drilled rotors. </font>
This is very common. Lots of times people also change wheels and tires to something better than they were running. The first time they hit the brakes, they stop on a dime and say it's gotta be the x-drilled rotors. No, the tires are what are actually stopping you.

SCC is guilty of this all the time. They put some BABK on some car along with 17" rims and wide Yokohama tires and can now stop 15 feet shorter. Was it the brakes? Nope, it was the better tires I garuntee. For this and several other reasons, I will let my SCC subscription expire without renewal.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yes-Ser:
How many times is this topic going to come up?

</font>
what this mean? I dont understand, plz someone explain me...

------------------

·
Zed's dead baby
336 Posts
what this mean? I dont understand, plz someone explain me...

</font>
Its not your fault. Its just that the argument over whether or not cross drilled rotors do anything but look pretty has come up many times.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok,thank you everebody !!
I think I will buy new nx2000 rotors and put some very good pads(I think there's some called EBC green...)and I will changed my brake lines too(in stainless)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts