SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have GC's already on my car and the spring rate is a little low, 350f 300r.And they are a little bouncy, not too bad. I just orderd kyb agx struts and in order to compensate for the lower spring rate, could I turn up the setting on the struts? I'm planning on getting higher spring rate springs this summer sometime.

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
I have GC's already on my car and the spring rate is a little low, 350f 300r.And they are a little bouncy, not too bad. I just orderd kyb agx struts and in order to compensate for the lower spring rate, could I turn up the setting on the struts? I'm planning on getting higher spring rate springs this summer sometime.
You are A-OK cranking up the AGX's till the bounce goes away. However, I am not sure how much (more) spring the AGX's can handle.

Hmmmmm.....I'm gonna have to go find the answer now. Dammit.

Your current spring rate is right on the money for what most guys like on a DD and autocross car. 300'ish front, 200'ish rear.

With heavy chassis reinforcement (like a cage), and if you are road racing or something serious, you would run higher spring rates.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, for some reason I thought people were running 450f 400r most of the time. What would a higher rate do to the struts?

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
Oh, for some reason I thought people were running 450f 400r most of the time. What would a higher rate do to the struts?
The two (2) forum exlusive, conventional, springs are Hyperco's and Road Magnets. They are both right around 300/200.

For a DD/autocross car, that is about as stiff as most folks want to deal with on the road.

Reinforce the chassis and head to the track all day? Those dudes run really, really, high spring rates.

Premature wear of the struts because they are not valved well enough to handle the increased rates
Bingo.

And forgive me, but I have no idea where the "top rate" is on an AGX. I know it will handle Hypercos, but once you start heading too much further upwards on the spring rate, the AGX's are eventually not going to be able to handle it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well then I guess i put together a good combo without even trying :rofl: I love it when a plan falls together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts