SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew- just finished up new springs and struts over the weekend! What was I thinking when I decided to try this without impact tool?!?!

Anyway- in case anyone is interested in the same setup- it rocks! The Hypercoils drop the car about the same as Prokits- maybe a little less, but the springs are stiffer. I trimmed my bumpstops front and rear, and the ride is definitely livable with struts on 2f/3r. Much more pleasant than my old R-package Miata! Only downside- I wasnt able to get as much negative camber with the AGXs as I could with my old Monroe Sensa-Craps. So, I am running -1.5 front and -1 rear with 0 toe all the way around. Car goes great down the highway now, but turn-in isnt quite as fast.

Best thing about it- I got the Hypercoils new for $162! They fit great, dropped the car PERFECTLY (it is absolutely level). Plus, they are stiff enough to actually be a performance mod. If there is anyone else looking for springs who doesnt want to fool with GC coilovers on a daily driver, then I HIGHLY recommend these! But, do NOT try to use them without performance struts.

I also installed my newly purchased 15" flat black Rota Circuit 8s on the car last night (looks pretty good with a white SE-R). Needless to say, with all this, the car looks 1000 times better. Will try to post pics tomorrow!

Brian
1992 SE-R
AGX/Hypercoils, ES bushings, STBs, short shifter, 17 degree timing
Monsterflow intake, Rota C8s, Kumho 205-50R15

·
-
3,560 Posts
Whrere did you get the Hypercoils, and how proven are they?

What kind of experience do you have with SE-R suspensions, have you ridden in other combos (AGX/Eibach, Tokico/Eibach, etc)?

Just trying to guage where youre coming from. Sounds interesting, though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hypercoils makes very high-end springs for all types of racing- F1, NASCAR, etc. They are powder-coated, not rubber coated. The rates are 180F/175R. Ben Moses has a lot more info on his webpage, along with some pics.

I have not ridden in a Prokit/AGX setup, but since these springs are firmer with less of a drop, I would say they are more performance oriented. I have heard some people complain of an uneven drop with the Prokits, and I can assure you that the Hypercoils give a very nice, even drop.

I dont think I would attempt to use these springs with Tokicos since I have heard people say that those struts are even a little underdamped for Prokits.

·
Registered
348 Posts
anything stiffer

Is there anything stiffer than the Hypercoils say like 350 front 300 rear? if there is can someone give me the site..

mahalo Ryan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just another vote for the Hypercoil/ AGX combo. I run mine at 2F/4R. I did not cut the bumpstops as recommended by Hyperco. Hyperco makes springs for real race cars NASCAR, CART, F1, etc. and they feel the current settings are the best compromise for a street car. As of now they refuse to build 300/300 for a street car, They may custom build whatever you want as long as you can prove it's for a race car. This is for liability reasons.

http://www.hypercoils.com/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew-

Did the N-tech front brace make a nice difference in the car? I am looking at doing that and the Ntech rear sway bar next.

Thx,
Brian

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, the N-Tech made a huge difference. Primarily steering response and an overall "tightness" to the front end. Even more so than the STB, though I think they complement each other nicely. I'm trying to locate a N-Tech Rear Sway Bar but can't find one. Even Motivational Engineering is out. Do you know where I can find one?:confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately not. I think there are quite a few people waiting for them right now. The under-brace is next on my list though, so I havent actively been looking for the bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts