SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but they're sooo damn expensive. When I called the guy at Summit Racing he gave me a $120 price EACH, then proceeded to inform me that most people who buy these take them for autoX and all that. I won't be doing any of that any time soon so I decided not to shell out for these. Anybody have suggestion on cheaper alternatives? How about the GR-2? Or should I go for Tokicos? Konis? Anyone? TIA -D

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
Hey Lamchop. If you want AGX's cheap, purchase them from Performance Suspension Technologies (www.p-s-t.com). They're the cheapest I've found at only $389 a set shipped!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$389 is still a little steep for me. I was reading a review on the GR-2 and it says the shock is horrible on rough roads - but the guy had a Honduh Accord. Konis? Tokicos?

·
Original Owner
1,045 Posts
As a student, I know how it is trying to stretch your performance dollar. My advice would be to wait and just save up for the AGX's. I did and it was definately worth the wait.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I have the GR-2s on an Eclipse. They have been just fine for the last 4 years. I even autocrossed on them and won a state title. I have no idea how good/bad they are on an SE-R.

I've had the Tokiko non-adj on a Z-car. They were IMO very stiff with stock springs, but felt much better with some Eibachs.

AGX is the best/least expensive adjustable shock you can get for the SE-R.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
AGX is the best/least expensive adjustable shock you can get for the SE-R.

</font>
What he said. You can't get anything better than adjustable AGX's for what they cost. There is nothing cheaper that is better.

Tokicos aren't much cheaper, and they suck.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
222 Posts
just get the GR-2 then. If your not going to autox, then you will never touch the adjustments on the AGX after you put them on, and so then whats the point of having them.

-jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I was thinking, and I'll save about $200 buckaroos. I was just wondering if the Tokicos or the Konis are about the same price (haven't checked) then maybe I should get those or something. -D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So even if I like a nice stock ride, and don't plan on autoX-ing anytime soon, but I need new shocks, I should still get the AGX? I was hoping for a cheaper alternative but if it's just a small amount of difference I guess I'll save up for the AGX. Any SE-R owners using those GR-2s? I'd really like to get an impression and besides, they're only $44 on TireRack. Thanks all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I'm going to order 4 KYB GR-2s this weekend. What else should I order while I'm at it? They're offering Strut boots ($10), Strut mounts($26), and this thing called a "Strut Mount bearing for SM5006" for $9 (all prices are each). I've heard something about "bushings" and stuff like that from people and that I should get it replaced with polyurethane ones since I have the struts removed. What are they? I have an automatic, does that matter? Two last questions: will the GR-2s increase the height of my car? What kind of performance can I expect compared to stock struts? Thanks from a totally confuse SE-R owner. -Danny

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
My Struts Replacement page might help with choosing what strut hardware you need. I don't know what comes with the KYB kits, but I assume it's all the same stuff you can individually through Nissan dealers.

The fact that your Classic is an auto doesn't make any difference. The struts shouldn't raise the ride height - the spring holds up the car, and the strut's main job is to dampen. I don't know much about the GR-2's, but they should certainly perform better than a set of old stock struts.

The Tokicos I had didn't feel any different than stock, but the AGXes I have now are noticeably stiffer on the "2" setting and above.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I thought JC Whitney sold AGXs for much less, like nearly $300 for a set of 4?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I don't know if this has changed yet or not, but the JCW sport compact catalog has only listed B14 AGXs.

The rear shocks for the B14 are quite a bit cheaper than the struts for the B13, so they could get away with a better deal for the B14s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oooo... don't get me started. JC Crappy doesn't have them for the B13s, and you can't even special-order them. Yes it pissed me off royally when I saw the $80front and $60back price tags for 95+ SE-Rs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts