SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody else has ran into this problem after installing AGXs. For some reason after installing my AGX's I keep getting clunking noises in the rear of my car. I know that it is the suspension because of my rear stut mount and my ground control top hat being ruined. The little circle openings at the top of the strut mount and the top hat being rubbed to a almost egg shape. The strut shaft was for some reason rubbing. This also cause for half of the strut shaft to wear away after a couple of months.I went ahead and replaced everything but its doing the same thing again. I noticed the main differnce after installing the new stuts was that the rubber bushing at the top of the stut wasn't being compressed by the nut at the top of the strut. I found some other bushings and washers to take up the slack but there is still some slack there. Would this lack of compression cause the strut to sit improperly and cause this abnormal wear? Im thinking by adding more washers or bushings to help take up the slack should take care of the problem but Im wondering if anybody else has had these problems. I installed all the components in the order they came off the original suspension. Thanks guys!

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey, got a scenario alittle different from yours, but same noise......

i'm running the agx's with st springs. with this setup, the rear suspension was dead quiet. next i bought and installed the motivational rear shock mounts that give you an inch more travel. got the same noise you're experiencing.

i put everything back together in the same order, but that was the problem. to solve the noise, i rearranged one of the metal washers, and one of the factory rubber washers.

here is the order from top-to-bottom i put the washers in.

-gold colored nut
-gold colored curved washer
-small rubber washer (small in thickness, not in diameter, should be same diameter as the rubber one below it)
-factory rubber washer (the one that is about an inch tall and has the ribbs around it) with the lip facing down going into the shock plate
-next, the motivational shock plate (which looks similiar to the GC coilover plates)
-another factory rubber washer (1/2 inch tall shaped like an hourglass) with the lip facing up going into the plate
-metal washer (pretty good size in diameter so it supports completely the rubber bushing above it without having any rubber overhanging)
-bump stop

with the lip of one factory washer facing down through the hole in the plate, and the other one up, it keeps the agx shock shaft centered through the shock plate, and snug, so that for one, there's no slop, and for two, there's no noise from metal to metal contact. i actually called motivational about this noise problem, and it sounds like the agx's are a longer 'shaft' design than other shocks for our cars, and it's the extra length which is casuing the 'slop' and noise in our rear suspension.

post again if i'm unclear about something, anyways hopes this might help

later
bryan

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...yeah Im gonna take apart my rear suspension and double check to see if I got everything in the right order. Hopefully I put something in the wrong place cuz if everything is right...I've got a bigger problem then I thought....Thanks again!

------------------
Irwin 96 200sx SE-R (w/ a lil sumptin sumptin) photo viewable thanks to Chrissy!

·
Yes Dear.
2,503 Posts
ok.. first off. let me ask. did you guys do the tape and silicone that was on the NPM??

next you need to get the pillow ball mounts.. and that should take care of all the noise...

·
-
3,560 Posts
Washers...good idea.

If you have torqued down the nut to the struts and still have play in the spring(evidents if you push down and up on the rear bumper with noise), add some washers to the nut.

That nut is only supposed to be torqued down until you get massive "anti-torque."

Its sort of a lock-nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts