SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little different but in my own personal experiences with open air filter vs closed air filter and whit the add of my trusty SAFC and butt dyno theres a a very noticable difference between the two.

Heres a lil something quoted from K&N although they are talking about air horns and velocity stacks without filter it still may apply atleast i know theres a difference between and open air filter exposed to outside high speed air vs a closed air filter boxed in a housing which has no high speed outside air to interfear with induction.

Scroll down to "Racing" and read.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/KN filters/K&N_facts.htm

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok now more of you should look at this, even ur open air filter under ur hood on ur turbo swap is being effected by the radiator fan and air threw the grill and headlight during normal driving. Dammm I love my SAFC.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If u have an open airfilter under your hood, then this concerns u.............basically if u dont have teh stock air box, this should concern you............how i know this **** is threw personal experience and by the aid of my SAFC, i love that thing.

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't added the screen yet but I have made a box around the air filter to eliminate turbulent air striking the air filter.....here is my responce form another thread:

OK, did a lil soemthin somethin today, I made a semi closed box around the air filter effectively blocking incoming turbulant air from the front of the car and the radiator fans, here r some observations I noted.

1) On coast down my o2 voltage will quickly get to .00-.01 volts everytime without a doubt even at 100mph+ so no turbulence is hitting the filter screwing up MAF volatge.

*Before my car on coast down would normally only see .07 - .15 volts during coast down (lifted throttle) and take longer to get there. Also now there seems to be a strange sense of smoothness about how the power is put down.

**I think thios is also going to improve gas milage, that wastegate gass on coast down cuzz injectors should be shut down.

or look here

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=69815

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=69815

·
getting close
2,002 Posts
Wow interesting stuff. I wish i had'nt thrown out my stock airbox. I may get 1 from the junkyard and try to make my k&n cone filter fit inside.

Later,Jon

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
I just ordered a K&N filter wrap for my Stillen intake even though it's said to cut down induction a little (less than 10%). I did this becuase although K&N claims their filter are good for a million miles. I notice with time that the wiring used to encase the filter guaze begins to break in some spots and and the gauze begins to trap dirt even a after thoroughly cleaning the filter. So to cut down on some of the filth and dust my intake sucks in. I'll be using one of these wraps K&N has made available K&N part number 22-8049PK. They come in black for the filter used with my Stillen intake. Cost me $25.00 bucks with shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts