SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you guys use a cold air intake system with an open filter by K&N or HKS or Weapon R and any other brand with an open filter...and how many of you use the K&N drop in filter?? I want to know if you can actually feel any performance gains...low end, high end, better revving capabilities?? any noticeable advances....im trying to figure out which would be the best way to go...the drop in filter is the cheaper way to go, but is a CAI worth the extra money?? thanks for the input guys..

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded
Stock (for now)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a HS CAI on my NX and I noticed a big gain in power. Keep in mind that the car already had a HS GEN 3 header and JWT S3 cams. I don't know for sure, but I'll guess you wouldn't feel as much of a difference on a stock NX. It may be worth it for you just because of the sound the intake produces under WOT.

Ben
'93 NX

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
i had a HS CAI on my 200SX SE-R. will it fit-no problem on the NX2000? even though it is a high port vs. low port engine?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could probably make a low port intake fit the NX high port, but I'm thinking it wouldn't sit right on the car. You should probably get the CAI for the high port engine.

Also, I forgot to mention that I switched from an open air box with a dropin K&N filter. I ran my car all different ways and here's what I found:

Just K&N dropin filter - no power difference
K&N dropin w/ open airbox - possibly a loss of low end torque. Mainly did it for the sound.
HS CAI - I could feel the power difference.

KEep in mind that I did all of these things while the car had the S3 cams and gen 3 HS header. YMMV.

Ben
'93 NX

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the drop in filter is the cheaper way to go, but is a CAI worth the extra money??</font>
IMO, YES! The HP/torque gains with a CAI are immediate and very noticible. Especially at WOT.

Now as far as which filter to use. PR and HS CAIs both use K&N filters. Most of the other aftermarket companies also use K&N type filters. Stay away from the "foam" style filters. They may flow more, but they'll also alloy more particles to pass.
The K&N type filters last longer. And are the better value for the money.

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i think I might have to go with the cai over the K&N drop in filter....Which brand is actually worth the money...how does the weapon R intake kit compare to something like the JWT Pop charger?? the weapon R is about 30 bucks cheaper...is the JWT pop that much better??

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded
Stock (for now)

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Weapon R, and POP aren't CAI, you should go with either the place racing, or hot shot. Those are the ones that will make the most difference.

------------------
95 200SX SE-R Automatic (BIGFOOT), B15 engine, PR CAI, Topspeed muffler.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much is the hot shot intake kit and where can i pick one up??

·
Registered
201 Posts
You'll pay around $200 for a new Hotshot or Place Racing CAI. You can find vendors in the se-r.net aftermarket vendors section. I would also check the se-r.net or other classifieds to see if you can find a used one for cheaper.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
my filter got BATTERY ACID all over it. is it still good? I let it soak in baking soda overnight to neutralize the acid, and i'm cleaning it up still. parts of the filter are a little yellow, but the whole thing is still intact..is it usable?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went to Import Parts Plus, and their price for the HS CAI is $212.95.

Battery acid can eat through paint, so I can only imagine what it did to your K&N filter. Also, I know in the instructions that you're not supposed to clean it with anything but the K&N cleaner and oil. There must be a reason for that. If you're positive the filter wasn't damaged, go ahead and re-use it. If you think it took any damage at all, I would replace it. It's your car, though, so do as you choose. Why don't you give them a call to see what they say? (909) 826-4000.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is the 200 plus dolars spent on the cai really worth it considering you can pick up a K&N drop in filter for like 50 bucks??? Is the increase in performace and breathability of the engine that much better then the drop in??

·
Registered
201 Posts
You won't notice a difference with the dropin filter. Your car may sound a little different, but it really doesn't gain you any HP. The main advantage is that you can just recharge the filter instead of buying a new one when it gets dirty.

YMMV, but as I said before, I noticed a big difference with the CAI. Is it worth $200? Well, that's up to you. Like I said, check the classified ads. You can probably find one that someone is selling in the $100 to $150 range.

I must warn you that once you start modifying the car, you'll keep wanting to spend more and more money on mods!

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
dang john, you have become one crazy post-er on this forum

i think you should buy that CAI for your car.....then put it in mine!

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXBen:
I had a HS CAI on my NX and I noticed a big gain in power. Keep in mind that the car already had a HS GEN 3 header and JWT S3 cams. I don't know for sure, but I'll guess you wouldn't feel as much of a difference on a stock NX. It may be worth it for you just because of the sound the intake produces under WOT.

Ben
'93 NX
</font>
You had a HS CAI?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NismoSer....bro...im post happy.bro...buy your own CAI and we can both put it on our cars...we can do our mods simulatenously!!! PEace bro!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah. I sold the CAI. I actually wish I would have kept it, though.

I do want to catuion you guys on the CAI, though. You will need to find a good way to support the thing in your engine bay. The couplers kept coming apart on mine no matter how tight I made them. That is the one thing that pissed me off about it. Since it was the couplers right near the MAF, the ECU wouldn't get the proper signal from the MAF, so I couldn't rev past 3K RPM and I had to pull over and put it back together every time it happened. I know other people have also had this problem.

Ben
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm....thats something to think about....do u guys have a way to remedy this problem??

·
0 Posts
Go buy some PVC damn it!!
.................LOL.................

------------------
-3x CRX owner
-SE-R mods: "Home Depot" intake
-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts