SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago a friend asked where my intake temp sensor was. With a questioning look, I responded, "I didn't know. I don't remember removing one from the OE air box." With a look of horror(hyperbole is good), he told me I better find out or I could be running rich or lean. So I checked my wimpy Haynes manual - it does mention the sensor, but is not engine specific. So I checked my OE box - no sensor present or missing. So I dug around on SE-R.net and Mike G's website for clues/pics. Mike's CAI pic of the temp sensor shows it coming out of the fenderwell wireway opening, so I dug around in mine at lunch(nice and sunny here in Atlanta). Low and behold I find a temp sensor with an OE plug sitting snugly in place!

My car is a 98 SE - anyone else encounter this same plug? It's about 1.5" long, black, pointy, and mates perfectly with the plug.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Yeah I know all about its location. Since I removed that silly tube intake thing and the bottom of the airbox, that sensor is just hanging in the hole going down to the fenderwell/resonator box. I haven't had any mileage problems. I got 34mpg a week or two ago, my best to date. Not bad for a piggy B14 :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben, was your sensor actually attached to/through your OE air box? Mine is sitting in the fender with this insert plugged into it, never used. Came that way from the factory, apparently.

I notice Mike G has his plugged into his CAI. Was yours installed in your box, Mike?

I've had nary a problem, either. Just wonder what's up.....

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Mine was plugged into the sensor and the sensor was in place in the side of the intake tubing right above where the tubing splits to go into the resonator box in the fenderwell as well as a little further forward to open next to the battery. Again since I now have remove that it is laying loose in the hole where that tubing used to go into the resonator box. Most people who do this mod (or a CAI) remove that resonator box from the fender area, but I just haven't got around to doing it yet.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
My temp sensor(The black pointy thing) was pluged into the horn part of the intake that was in the engine bay rite off the air box. It has no plug or connector on it at all. The sensor is directly connected to wires that wind into the bigger wiring harness.

The black pointy thing is the temp sensor.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Well, ok, guess I never really paid attention to that. Just assumed it had a connector to the sensor. Would suck if you had to replace it then, huh?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Now I just have to figure out how to extend the wires with out hacking them to much. Damn DET!

Mike... Home from work(7am to 5:30pm then from 7:30pm to 2:30am)and I have to be back in by 8:00 WTF I need a new Job.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well blow me down, I guess it IS the temp sensor. The performance shop guy installed my first filter while I chatted with the owner(back in my newbie days). I never asked about it and he never told.

I also allowed myself to be thrown by looking at my buddy's temp sensor(240SX) installed in his airbox. They are completely different. Well, I suppose I'll leave it tucked in the fender till I get my very own CAI. :)

Thanks for the info, gentleman.

Bman, still waiting for his Courtesy b-pipe to arrive.....should have arrived Wednesday! I'm just glad I don't work YOUR hours, Mike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts