SR20 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In front of the maf is a 1 1/2" rubber hose going into what looks like a resovoir, could I safely take this off if it is plugged? I am sticking a cone filter on this week hopefully and was checkin it out, but I could not figure out this things purpose. And finally, when the hose(green arrow) is removed, am I able to remove any ofwhatever the blue arrow points to. No this is not a joke, please excuse my ignorance.

·
-John-
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys I know it looks confusing I asked three questions with one phrased in the post. I just want too clean this stuff up and get my car moving better(going to the track next weekened). I'm just looking to do a few things and get it running well and consistent(in my other rpm gauge quest post a few days ago). I haven't done anything to my car or really been under the hood much(long cold winter since I got the car)although I do know quite a bit from these forums. Thanks for any and all of your help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looking at your photo it's hard to tell what the arrows are pointint to. But there is an intake baffle you can remove that's between the throttlebody and the MAF sensor. It's there to keep the noise down inside in the intake. I removed mine and put a Mobil1 oil bottle cap in the hole and retightended the worm clamp. Can't say I noticed any power increase, but it seemed louder.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
The blue arrow is the oil separator. Do not remove it.

The green arrow is the tubing from the separator to the intake tract. You can cut this line closer to the separator and install a small breather filter. This is what JWT Pop charger kits originally came with.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ok, I've also done this "mod" and must admit I also haven't noticed any power increase. I've blocked off the biggish pipe at the base of the green arrow. There is however a smaller pipe next to it that also leads into the same resevoir box. Should this also be blocked off? Or is this where you should put the small breather filter?

·
jo mom
502 Posts
He is talking about the AIV. It is an emissions device designed to bring fresh air into the the exhaust.. Basically it connects your air intake to your exhaust header.. the black box has a diaphram thing that allows the air only to flow in that direction so exhaust cannot end up going into your intake..

from near the egr a vacuum line applies vacuum to a plunger on the top of the gray thing. that allows the air flow through and enter the header.. if the vacuum line isn't sucking it won't raise the plunger and work..

be a tree hugger and leave it alone... you'll get more performance gains by taking a dump...

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
OK, heres what you do. Take that tube from the air box OUT, plug up hole on air box. take that AIV box thats in front of the oil seperator OUT. take that other box thats in front of the manifold OUT, plug up the vacuum line. Remove that metal AIV tube that runs into your header, and plug the hole. And now you have a cleaner, less cluttered engine bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.