SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone, here's a good one for all of you.. So we at the track and the car's performing like a champ (12.5 w/16 lbs of boost). Soooo, we're trying to qualify for the Quick 8 and on our 4th run, some very weird **** happens. Launch.. cool... shift to second... cool... shift to third... cool... shift to fourth... BAM! The airbags go off!!! WTF?!?!?! Both of them! Shatter my windshield and put an end on our racing fun
Now, does anyone have ANY ideas why this could have happened (or has it happened to anyone else)?? I'm stumped! I'll be calling my local Nissan dealership in a while, but I wanna see if this has ever happened to anyone else. This is some strange ****!

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Registered
727 Posts
That is freaking weird. You think maybe hitting the gears and making the tranny slam, tricked the ECU into thinking that you had hit something and made the bags deploy? That is the only thing I can come up with, unless of course you were going so fast and a bird ran into your grille, lol.

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> Hot Shot CAI, Custom Apexi Cat Back, ST Shifter & G4 Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, B&G springs, 91 Cams, NOS 50 Shot, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, JWT CPU COMING SOON!

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! Nope, didn't find any birds
I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been the racing 'cause Ryan was there in his turbo Sentra SE running a bit quicker with no problems! Ahhh!! It pisses me off that I can't figure this bitch out!! Damn it!

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TTT - Anyone???

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
On another off subject lol I may have a set of black bags and the module for sale here shortly - look new...
Chris

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hmmm nissan has it all wrong. My airbags didnt go off in my frontal collision, but they go off just driving in a straight line?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah I saw Davids car @ the races. Really sucks, must have been scary as hell. Kinda had me worrying about mine deploying. What is good is that nobody was hurt and nobody crashed as a result of the airbags going off.

------------------
Ryan Nielsen
98 Sentra SE Turbo
11.9 @ 119 mph
363hp / 325ft-lbs

Sponsored By:
Apex Motorsports
(480) 967-6515

FTF Motorsports / Racing
www.ftfmotorsports.com

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
thats not good, id make nissan pay for all the damages if i were you

i know that there is a computer under the armrest in my 200sx, i saw it when i had to tighten the e-brake and i said dont hit or strike or the airbags could go off... maybe it was loose and got jerked hard in that shift, i dunno, but check the box out to see how it is

[This message has been edited by DaGenesis (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well i know from past experience that in an accident there are generally two or more sensors involved in the inflation of the airbag. In the older type of airbag systems there is one sensor on the firewall and one up near the grill. Once both of these sensors close their contacts within a certain time frame the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) computer closes the circuit to the airbags and initiates a chemical reation that rapidly produces are large volume of gas to inflate the bags.

So at this point we can deduce that one of two things is wrong. A) the SRS computer f*cked up or B) there was a short in one of the SRS wiring harnesses.

The sensors on airbags are designed as a directional inertia sensor. if the sensor is not impacted in a frontal collision from and angle of about 30 degrees either side of the center line of the car it will not deploy the bags. It really is pretty hard to get the airbags to pop from sensor inputs....

Sitting on a bench however. BANG! I inflated one on a bench once as a demo. Pretty wild stuff.

Sorry to here about this happening to ya man but it does happen every now and then. It happened to my aunt in her lebaron as she was cruising down the highway. I am not to sure if she ever found out what caused it or not. She got rid of the car after that.

Anyway i wish yo luck on your quest.

------------------
92 SE-R w/ CAI by hotshot, Battery relocate by Me, Tunes by Sony and JL, And communications by Icom

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
did you wreck your ****? that sucks man, that is odd though. airbags are not cheap, and if it is racing related your insurance will not cover it. I knew a girl who wrecked her z28 at the track, and they would not cover her.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys guys! I'll be stopping by Nissan after work today to see what they're gonna do about it. And no, there was no accident involved Brian. They just popped on the shift from third to fourth. Well, we'll see what happens...

BTW, congrats on the 11 second pass Ryan! Nice job!

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ryan & David:
I have a Sentra SE as well, do you happen to have a website with pics?
can you e-mail me the URL's if you do

CONGRATS! gives me something to look forward to

Peace

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I think the B14 airbags work only off an accelerometer mounted near the center console. I don't think there are any sensors in the frame anymore. My airbags went off when I got hit by a big ass van from the side.

I guess you guys will need to disable the airbags (you have a helmet, what about roll cage?) while racing.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
I think American legal system is abused and we've become a sue-happy society, but I wouldn't hesitate to consult a lawyer.

Regardless the state of tune of your car and the setting, something very wrong happened, and it could have seriously hurt you. What if it had happened on the street? With passengers?

Nissan should repair your car (if it's really their fault). If they refuse, unleash the power of justice.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome! Keep 'em comin guys! Luckily, the person driving the car was wearing a helmet, but from the video you can see that it hit him pretty hard and pushed his head back quite a bit!

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks David, A little more tuning for my car and it should be running a little bit faster. On the 11.9 run it missed most of the way through 4th gear (still have to install the MSD). Unfortunatly I cant go back without some more safety equipment so its going to be a little while. Let me know what they say about your car.

------------------
Ryan Nielsen
98 Sentra SE Turbo
11.9 @ 119 mph
363hp / 325ft-lbs

Sponsored By:
Apex Motorsports
(480) 967-6515

FTF Motorsports / Racing
www.ftfmotorsports.com

·
Registered
756 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsracer:
Awesome! Keep 'em comin guys! Luckily, the person driving the car was wearing a helmet, but from the video you can see that it hit him pretty hard and pushed his head back quite a bit!

</font>
What video?

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The one Fernando took.

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

1 - 20 of 26 Posts