SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is interested in learning how to do a DIY alignment at the convention? Also, can I even get a place to do this at? I also would need to hear from the orginizers if this is ok and we have time in the schedule. So lets talk about it and see what we can come up with.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
YES!!!! I think it's a fabulous idea, and you're the right guy to do it.

C

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
We could either do something on Saturday or Sunday. Saturday would be good because it's a free day and everyone is free to do as they please. Sunday at the picnic would be great because everyone will be there and won't be going anywhere. Problem with that would be that people would probably be anxious to be on their way home :( Maybe either Saturday earlier in the morning so people can still do other things or later in the afternoon/early evening so people can do other things and still make it back in time for the seminar? I'm thinking earlier on Sunday during the picnic so everyone will be there anyway. Like if we do the picnic from 10-2 and do the awards/raffle from 12-2, we could do the seminar from 11-12. What do you need to do this Steve? Would a parking lot suffice? You probably want a totally flat surface though, right? :/

I'd definitely be interested though! We'll have to talk offline in the coming weeks

·
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seminar could be inside for a portion of the time and outside for another part of the time. I prefer saterday so I can then move on to beam bending. I want to enjoy the picnic like everyone else. Good thing would be to do the class, then people can watch the beam get bent and see how to use the tools.

·
Mr. Grumpypants
1,277 Posts
98sr20ve said:
Seminar could be inside for a portion of the time and outside for another part of the time. I prefer saterday so I can then move on to beam bending. I want to enjoy the picnic like everyone else. Good thing would be to do the class, then people can watch the beam get bent and see how to use the tools.
Good points... we could probably do something at the hotel on Saturday. Maybe do something in the morning? Like a 9AM seminar followed by the beam bending... how long do you think a seminar would take? Hour to hour-and-a-half? Maybe, depending on how many cars you bend the beam, start earlier? I guess we'll have to see. We'll/you'll obviously have to get deposits to ensure that all the people who say "I'm definitely there yO" for the beam bending actually come! I know you're not stupid when it comes to that :)

·
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good, of course the seminar would be free. About an hour should do it I would think. It depends on the questions of course. A white board would sure be nice for all of this.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
i'd be interested.

is this a seminar for B14s only or would this include B13s as well?

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
I'll offer up my car as the test subject, and this'll be the chance you've been waiting for to drive a B13 with D2's.

C

·
15642uner
1,681 Posts
this would be something i'd definitly like to check out!

·
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This class would cover the basics of what an alignment is about. Cover some "Myths" and then go over the process of how to do your own alignment. I would explain the use of DIY tools, how to set up your garage, How to make your tools, how to center the steering wheel, how to set the rear thrust on a B13 or any car with adjustable rear suspension. Unfortanatly, I wont be able to go thru the actual process of aligning a car. I need a perfectly level floor to do camber and thrust, I won't have that. Afterwards I will be bending some beams and you should watch how the tools are used, then someone could check and adjust toe on thier personal car if they wanted. The tools are going to be right there. I expect I will be pretty full with my day bending beams but we will have to see how many people sign up for it. This is the deal. Doing a alignment is not hard, its just time consuming the first couple times. You can do things in stages as far as expense. I think everyone who puts their own suspension on their car should learn how to align it themselves. If you can change struts you can do a alignment.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
I'll help you in anyway that I can Steve, with the beam bending or whatever.

·
out with neck injury :-(
1,231 Posts
chriscar said:
I'll offer up my car as the test subject, and this'll be the chance you've been waiting for to drive a B13 with D2's.

C
I've got to schedule a ride whenever that car goes out, so I don't think I'm spending my $$$ for nothing, if that's ok...

and I'll be at the seminar!

edit: will there be a discussion about what's ideal depending on what you want your car to do, i.e. drag, auto-x, track, street, and such?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts