SR20 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my swap. Big thanks go out to Toolapcfan (Rob) for all his help. We also swapped out my steering rack and installed new tie rod ends. I'm definitely going to need an alignment. I haven't had one since before I installed the Progress COs...then the old UK Spec took a crap on me. :(

Anyways...on to my alignment Q's.

1) First off, I want to get the Ground Control camber plates, but I just cannot afford it at this time. Do you guys recommend waiting to get an alignment until then? It could be a couple months possibly.

2) I'd like to get an aggressive alignment that will be good for both AutoX and the track. Is it possible to get a decent alignment without the camber plates? If so, should I just have negative camber maxed out? Anything else or any specs I should ask the alignment shop to try and get for me?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Just not much you can do with these things. Get a shop that will set your toe exactly (instead of the +/- half inch (I'm kidding, it's not that much) allowed by the specs, set it exactly zero. If you toe out it'll get REAL twitchy on the track. AND even at zero your rack and tie-rod bushings better be in good shape or you'll wander at speed. A bit of toe-in will make it more stable, but will slow your turn-in.

Of course, what you really want is negative camber, but without the plates about the best you're going to be able to do is have somebody yank the strut over as best they can while tightening the two bolts. With any luck you'll get -1* or so. NOBODY recommends the $30 solution - camber bolts (replaces one of the mounting bolts) because everyone says they'll move and screw up your alignment - I used them, still have them, and they don't budge even during runs on the punishingly uneven lots they use down here (I think BigB confuses autocross with motocross - - ), and didn't move even when I found a 3" deep manhole cover off a Richmond offramp at night (your tax money at work). Moved the toe a fair amount, but didn't move the camber bolt. Again, most of these folks will scream at you not to do the camber bolts; if you ignore their advice like I did (actually I did it before I knew any better, to compensate for the shorter Hypercos), there are good bolts and cheap bolts. Mine came from an alignment parts wholesaler and were from the primary manufacturer of them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts