SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been kicking around the idea of building a QR powerplant for a N/A project. The cylinder head flows excellent on the QR.. and the valvetrain is setup to rev. It uses cam on bucket.. instead of the rocker arm setup the SR has. However, the piss-poor rod/stroke ratio won't let it rev in factory trim. The piston speeds get pretty outrageous at about 6800rpm. There is a destroked version of this motor.. the QR20DE in Japan.. which uses a MUCH shorter stroke. This motor should rev... but it's only a 2 liter. I want to build a big displacement, high(er) revving, street motor that can make at least 250-260whp. Here's what I had in mind..

QR25DE block
Custom 93mm(bore) x 95mm(stroke) billet crankshaft (stock is 89mm x 100.8mm)
Custom billet rods (Pauter or Crower)
Custom forged pistons (10.5:1 C/R)
Sleeved block (necessary for 92mm bore)
Fully ported head with oversize valves (Polk Performance)
Custom camshafts (JWT of course)
JWT springs
Custom Intake manifold (Polk Performance)
AEBS header (bigger primaries)

This should yield a 2.6 (just shy of 2.6) liter motor, that can rev to around 8000-8200rpm. Should make at least 250-260whp. Plus, you can throw nitrous at it if you want more. ;)
Travis

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think when it's all said and done... it will end up costing about the same... I'd rather have a beefier crank in the motor..
Travis

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Cunningham rods. Alot of their customers are road race teams. They do things a little differently, but really do make a great rod. www.cunninghamrods.com
Might be worth your time Travis.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
This sounds interesting. Definately keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
unlucky said:
So, I've been kicking around the idea of building a QR powerplant for a N/A project. The cylinder head flows excellent on the QR.. and the valvetrain is setup to rev. It uses cam on bucket.. instead of the rocker arm setup the SR has. However, the piss-poor rod/stroke ratio won't let it rev in factory trim. The piston speeds get pretty outrageous at about 6800rpm. There is a destroked version of this motor.. the QR20DE in Japan.. which uses a MUCH shorter stroke. This motor should rev... but it's only a 2 liter. I want to build a big displacement, high(er) revving, street motor that can make at least 250-260whp. Here's what I had in mind..

QR25DE block
Custom 93mm(bore) x 95mm(stroke) billet crankshaft (stock is 89mm x 100.8mm)
Custom billet rods (Pauter or Crower)
Custom forged pistons (10.5:1 C/R)
Sleeved block (necessary for 92mm bore)
Fully ported head with oversize valves (Polk Performance)
Custom camshafts (JWT of course)
JWT springs
Custom Intake manifold (Polk Performance)
AEBS header (bigger primaries)

This should yield a 2.6 (just shy of 2.6) liter motor, that can rev to around 8000-8200rpm. Should make at least 250-260whp. Plus, you can throw nitrous at it if you want more. ;)
Travis
I think the boore should be limited to 91mm for head sealing reasons. The sucess would all depend upon convincing JWT that they need to make a huge cam for the QR were there is little market for it.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
mike, I think you should take a look over at thevboard.com or b15sentra.net there is more than enough people that are interested in n/a development of the QR motor. Along with ecu.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
choaderboy2 said:
I think the boore should be limited to 91mm for head sealing reasons. The sucess would all depend upon convincing JWT that they need to make a huge cam for the QR were there is little market for it.

Mike

Mike
Even on a sleeved block? This is using AEBS sleeves. Do you think it's possible to get that much power out of a 2.6 liter QR with good cams?
Travis

·
the original 4-door SR20
590 Posts
I think a QR project would be perfect for a G20.

·
-John-
690 Posts
I think it is totally possible and a great idea if you have time and $$$$. Now stick that thing in a classic and you have something really nice...lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts