SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than post on an old thread, I'd thought I'd try to get some of y'all involved in posting what you think or have found... different headers for our car.

I've read/heard about the main brands: HS, Pacesetter, Stillen and whatnot.

I decided to do a search and see what else is out there as alternatives, regardless of costs.

This is what I've found, so far: https://ssl5.mysecureserver.com/bosstoolscom/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=390

Street and Strip, for $279 and can be had with ceramic coatings for. Don't know any more info... at this point.

Post what you can find and we'll go from there.

Peace Out,
Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
vladha said:
Rather than post on an old thread, I'd thought I'd try to get some of y'all involved in posting what you think or have found... different headers for our car.

I've read/heard about the main brands: HS, Pacesetter, Stillen and whatnot.

I decided to do a search and see what else is out there as alternatives, regardless of costs.

This is what I've found, so far: https://ssl5.mysecureserver.com/bosstoolscom/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=390

Street and Strip, for $279 and can be had with ceramic coatings for. Don't know any more info... at this point.

Post what you can find and we'll go from there.

Peace Out,
Mark
They have decent build quality but not as good as Hotshot, Stillen or AEBS. The flanges are thinner and you have to pay extra for coating. Tehy are better than Pacesetter.

Power is so so, about on par with Stillen with good bottom end power. They have the best bottom end of any SR20 header. Top end is the worst but still an improvment of stock. like 5-6 hp as I recall.

Mike

Mike
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mike. I kind of figured for the price that it would fall in the "lower" enhancement bracket. Still, best low end power, eh? Shoot, if you don't track your car and just use it to scoot around in traffic... that's pretty good at a decent price.

I'm going to hit some of the Aussies up for some websites or other offerings... I'll do the same with our brethren across the Atlantic, too.

It would be cool to develop a usable list that had stats(pipe diameters, metal, etc...) and all the other goodies... and then places to buy them.

This is a start... I'm a proud member of the new "Nerd Searchers".

Peace Out,
Mark
 

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
Not a bad choice....

The S&S 4-1 header comes with long primaries like the AEBS, which I have for $450(ceramic coated). It's alright with the 91 cam, but once I get some JWT S3's(or Tomei 256's) then I'll really be seeing a big improvement in throttle response and midrange power....... :D



Also, I should add that since it doesn't come with a flex joint, it would be recommended to weld one in to minimize vibrations. ;)
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
Look at the Genie thread I started. There is also a company named Hurricane headers from Australia too.
Here is a Hurricane SR20 header:
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian, your thread is the one that made me want to start my own, but with an assembly, eventually, of everything out there.

By the by, the email I sent to the one company was cancelled/deleted w/o being read... don't know what's up with that, maybe they just don't like Nissans.

Left a message on the Aussie and European boards, too.

I just thought it was time that we could have an entire listing of what is available for our cars... in one place, at least for the headers. If this goes well, maybe we could do it for other upgrades as well.

Peace Out,
Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
howard_w13 said:
The S&S 4-1 header comes with long primaries like the AEBS, which I have for $450(ceramic coated). It's alright with the 91 cam, but once I get some JWT S3's(or Tomei 256's) then I'll really be seeing a big improvement in throttle response and midrange power....... :D



Also, I should add that since it doesn't come with a flex joint, it would be recommended to weld one in to minimize vibrations. ;)
Thec AEBS header has much larger primaries, a true merge collector and a bigger after collector pipe. It has much more power potential.

Mike
 

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Thec AEBS header has much larger primaries, a true merge collector and a bigger after collector pipe. It has much more power potential.

Mike
Oh yes, definately. The AEBS header is superior to the S&S 4-1 header. My original plan was to get the AEBS first. The only problem with the AEBS is that it's not available anymore....... :mad: :mad: :mad:
 

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
vladha said:
Thanks, Mike. I kind of figured for the price that it would fall in the "lower" enhancement bracket. Still, best low end power, eh? Shoot, if you don't track your car and just use it to scoot around in traffic... that's pretty good at a decent price.

I'm going to hit some of the Aussies up for some websites or other offerings... I'll do the same with our brethren across the Atlantic, too.

It would be cool to develop a usable list that had stats(pipe diameters, metal, etc...) and all the other goodies... and then places to buy them.

This is a start... I'm a proud member of the new "Nerd Searchers".

Peace Out,
Mark
Info on the S&S header:
http://www.se-r.net/header_exhaust/s&s_header.html
 

·
Baby Blue VVL
Joined
·
3,202 Posts
so let's just say i have a pacesetter primary and I want to turn the secondary (2pipes) into a single pipe (4 in to 1) what is the optimal size for the piping before the cat?
2.5in? 2.25in?

O
 

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
OnyxEros said:
so let's just say i have a pacesetter primary and I want to turn the secondary (2pipes) into a single pipe (4 in to 1) what is the optimal size for the piping before the cat?
2.5in? 2.25in?
O
I would say 2.5" is the optimal size, but of course Mr. Kojima would probably be more knowledged in this area. :D
Also, I doubt that turning the PS into a 4-1 would be worthwhile. Since the diameters of the primaries are the same as the S&S, you'd probably have the same output or close to the S&S header, just a thought.....
 

·
Professor Dingbat
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
Found this site. Doesn't look like they make an application for our cars, but still pretty cool. Who knows, an email doesn't cost any money

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomf...w.hedman.com/

Peace Out,
Heddman hedders have been popular with the V8 crown forever, but their import applications suck. My brother and I had a Honda Civic maybe 7 years ago and we installed a heddman hedder and were very disappointed. Build quality sucked, and it made no perceivable power increase.
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good information on the S S, Howard... thanks.

Fastnx, too bad about the Heddman headers. No problem, though... they're the ones who deleted my email to their tech/sales people w/o even opening it. I just found it strange that they have applications for Honda and Mitsubishi and not Nissan.

I think that AEBS is in the works to develop another improved header for us, been delayed though.

Peace Out,
Mark
 

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
vladha said:
Good information on the S S, Howard... thanks.

Fastnx, too bad about the Heddman headers. No problem, though... they're the ones who deleted my email to their tech/sales people w/o even opening it. I just found it strange that they have applications for Honda and Mitsubishi and not Nissan.

I think that AEBS is in the works to develop another improved header for us, been delayed though.

Peace Out,
Mark
Man, it's been "in development" for the last 3-4 years now. I personally have grown weary of waiting for them to be finished. That's one of the reasons that I just gave up on them and went for the S&S. Heck, 2-3 years from now you'll hear that they are still "in development" :rolleyes:
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not bad for me, though. All my upgrades are currently centered around the suspension, brakes, wheels and tires... first. Though, after only 74k miles and 13 years, my exhaust is starting to sound like a series of farts on steroids;). Ahem, might have to "bump" one of the other upgrades to take care of this.

And the search goes on...

Peace Out,
Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
howard_w13 said:
Man, it's been "in development" for the last 3-4 years now. I personally have grown weary of waiting for them to be finished. That's one of the reasons that I just gave up on them and went for the S&S. Heck, 2-3 years from now you'll hear that they are still "in development" :rolleyes:
The current AEBS header works really well, some feel better than Hotshot although it makes less peak power.

The only serious drawback to me is poor ground clearance.

Mike
 

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
Storm88000 said:
That is *THE* drawback. A friend of mine had one on his lowered 97 SE-R, the pipes were dented to crap in about 2 months.
Hopefully someone will come out with 4-1 full length header with a trapezoidal shaped collector that can address the ground clearance issue. :(
 

·
My Ass, your face
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dominic, from the Aussie board, posted this site that sells Genie products and headers.

And yet, another alternative.

http://www.marcor-genie.com/index.htm

When he first posted the site, I was a little worried that it would be based only in Aussie Land... no worries, though.

A little less expensive than the Hotshot, uses mild steel for our application. From what I saw of the difference in price between the mild steel and stainless... I'll take the mild steel, price was almost doubled on some of the applications.

Peace Out,
Mark
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top