SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used another brand than this? I cannot find the STP ANYWHERE!! All I have found is the Gunk engine flush. Is that just as good or should I hold out for the STP because of the seal protectant it has in it. And what about Marvel Mystery Oil, whats the story with that, it says it cleans sludge out, anybody use this stuff before?

G

·
What I just used to "clean out" my motor before I did an oil change(See:"I need your help guys" in the General Forum if you're curious for details). Anyway, I used CD-2 oil additive -(It says on the front) "Quiets lifters, rings and improves seals" It's in a Yellow bottle in the additive section of many Auto Part stores. I've also used Rislone engine treatment;they both accomplish the same thing, in that they clean your internal engine surfaces while you drive. Just be aware that these do not help lubricate your internals-they actually clean off all the surfaces!! So, use sparingly-I used the CD-2 only because I wanted to "flush" out anything that might have entered the motor; the best part is, you can drive with this stuff in. I tried to add it ASAP before I changed the oil(more mileage before changing the oil would probably be better; I only drove the car<50 miles). I try not to use any of these products too much, as they really work as advertised, and I would prefer to have lubrication on friction-bearing motor surfaces rather than having a compound that strips it away. Just my 2 cents. BTW, there is a very good article on SE-R.net about this subject-check it out

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
It took me a while to find STP Engine Flush. The only place around here or at home that has it is Auto Zone. Advanced didnt have it and we dont have Pep Boys within an hour drive here or at home. Heard that Pep Boys has it, never looked myself. Check Auto Zone, its usualy down on the bottom shelf almost always, its in a box the bottle is the same size as a quart of oil so put that in a black shiny box and thats what you are looking for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
Just be aware that these do not help lubricate your internals-they actually clean off all the surfaces!! So, use sparingly-THEN YOU SAY.....the best part is, you can drive with this stuff in. </font>
Ok, so if it doesnt lubricate, why drive around with it in your car??? How much did you put in?

G

·
Auto Zone is my source for STP product. I have used it twice and noticed a more normal oil quantity at refill. Gunk engine flush is essentially kerosene. Wal mart caries an internal engine cleaner for around $15.00 by Prep-Up I think, But I have not used it.

G

·
Well Jay, that's a great question! Like I was saying before, the stuff DOES reduce valve noise, clean engine parts, etc. But, it does this by using an alcohol-based mixture to clean the friction bearing surfaces. In other words, yeah, it's not that great for the car, but it won't totally screw up engine function either. I used the word sparingly to mean that you shouldn't use this stuff at every oil change! It doesn't do wonders for your engine's oil viscosity, and it won't help lubricate your engine internals more....Hope that helps

G

·
I forgot to add that there are some engine cleaners on the market that you can drive around with, and some that you can't(Gunk engine cleaner comes to mind). The one's that you CAN drive around with say right on the container to "not drive more than 50 miles with this product in your crankcase"(or something to that effect)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Change the oil & filter every 3,000 miles and give the car regular exercise and you won't have to worry about engine cleaner in the first place.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WEll, I wish it were true, but after 127,000 miles, some buildup is inevitable, no matter what.

G

·
Lance I changed oil(synthetic after 9k) and filter regurarly but still noticed a reduction in quantity needed to refill crankcase. I would put a measured amount of oil in and be overfull. I have used the STP flush only once a year since 88k. It seems to work.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've heard of that problem but never experienced it. I've used Castrol every 3K since new and still put 3 5/8 quarts in- I have 173,000 miles on the clock. Oddly enough, I find that I can drain more oil out of the crankcase when I jack the front of the car way up (as far as the jack will go). Seems strange considering most shops drain the oil with the car level.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Change your oil every 3k miles, and give the car a fresh filter. I put over 100,000 very hard miles, including over 1000 road race miles, or my first SR20 before I blew the head gasket. The motor was *cherry*. There was not one single bit of sludge anywhere in the motor. Not one bit. The cylinders still had the factory honing marks. Leakdown was under 3% in all cylinders. The motor had another 100,000 in it if not for overheating the piss out of it by being a monkey.

If you are really concerned about the dreaded Missing Oil Syndrome, before you waste your time driving all over town looking for a secret snake oil, or blow your money on something you don't need, pull your lower oil pan, and carefully measure the oil you find in it. Your Missing Oil will be found, and you will not have to spend a dime (OK, you'll need some silicon sealant). I have pulled literally a dozen SR20 pans, and have measured the oil found therein multiple times. It's usually a little over 1/2 a quart.

The rest of the missing oil is getting burned. Yes, sad but true, high milage SR20's do burn oil. I have disassembled muliple SR20's, and believe me: there is no secret passage deep within the bowels of the engine where your oil is trapped or hiding. Before you waste any time, money, or effort on engine flushing, pull your pan.

Rob

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lance is correct. I do the same thing and get excellent results. I've got 145,000 miles on my SE-R and have not experienced any abnormal oil loss.

·
8,148 Posts
I just added some Marvel Mystery Oil to my crankcase to help quiet down some piston slap and hopefully clean up the motor some. I will report back in 1000 miles.
BTW, I know this is a blast from the past. I just looked this up in search.

·
Original Owner
233 Posts
IMHO, none of this crap will get sludge out. In fact, trying to dissipate the sludge will probably do you more harm than good by clogging oil passages. Other than disassembling the motor to clean it out properly, I'd just run a 5w-20 oil with a new filter for a couple hundred miles, repeat once or twice more and call it quits. After that, change it like you should. No more than 3000 miles or 4 months (I think 3 mos. is overkill). I have a '85 S10 Blazer with 86K miles that I followed this routine on (using GTX 10w-30) and when I changed valve cover gaskets, the valve area had no sludge build up. I do overkill in the SE-R and follow the above procedure and use Mobil 1

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm surprized that no one has mentioned Auto RX. As has already been mentioned, the problem with most of the "sludge busters" on the market is that they do work but they're so harsh that they may clog oil passages and create more problems than they solve. Auto RX slowly cleans the metal surfaces and deposits the sludge or carbon in your filter. Here's are two examples of what it did for me: I've owned a Dodge van for 15 years. For each 3000 mi oil change interval, it went through 2-3 quarts. After the Auto RX treatment, I'm down to 1/2 to 1 quart each oil change interval and gas mileage went up 3-4%. I asked them why it worked and they said that it probably cleaned the ring packs, allowing for a better ring to piston seal, ergo less oil consumption, higher compression and better fuel economy. It worked even better on the auto transmission. Six ounces freshen up the band, stopped the 1-2 shift shudder, and cleaned all kinds of crud out of the trans. If you know anything about the A604 trans, you know it is has earned a place in the hall of shame - most go out well before 100K miles. A recent poll on a dodge mini-van forum reveals that, as far as I know, with 212K miles, I have the second highest mileage on record for an A604 trans in a Dodge mini-van. Google it decide for yourself but it's the first mod I do on anything other than a new car.

·
Why am I banned?
471 Posts
member "johnand" has been using/used Auto-Rx on his 1.6 and has some detailed photos about his good experiences. i think the thread is titles "can you say sludge?"

I just used seafoam in the crank saturday and had "chunks" come out during the oil change. and that was 20 minutes AFTER I did an oil change!!! (2 in one day) now that I'm on Mobil 1, I don't think I'll do Seafoam again for about a year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts