SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where the alternator is *supposed* to be grounded at?

thanks

·
SouthPaw
2,022 Posts
the alt is grounded to the block and also runs a ground from the alt to a wiring harness. However, you can always set up your own ground, run some 4 or 8 guage wire from the alt to the body or set up a ground wire system as I did.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i assume it grounds on the passenger side?

The wiring harness ground, what color wire is it?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump

reason I'm asking all these questions is the power "post" on the alternator is glowing a bright orange. Already melted away the red cap that covers it. :tongue: I'm going to check grounds first then move onto switching alternators. I don't have my FSM so it's kinda hard to trace things. :-\

·
Nostalgic for Classics
189 Posts
Some people seem to lose the smallish 8mm or 10mm bolt for the black ground wire. It's on the right side of the alternator, several inches below the red-capped power post.

There is also another ground on the left, directly above the alternator pulley where the tensioner mount bolts into the block, sometimes covered by a rubber flap. The ground there is sandwiched behind the upper bolt.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Ivan. I'll go check that out during lunch. I'd hate to have an engine fire while I'm driving home from work.

·
Nostalgic for Classics
189 Posts
No problem. I just re-read my description, need to clarify.. the small grounding point on the right is more to the right.. the bolt head would actually face the exhaust manifold, not the front of the car.

If the bolt is missing, your ground strap should just be hanging off the harness somewhere, hopefully (!) :)

One more thing. Check to see that your upper radiator hose and/or the metal outlet is not leaking coolant down into your alternator. In any case, your alternator is probably due for a rebuild.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent .. thanks again. If I have more questions I'll come back and ask.

Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it looks like my grounds are fine. I have a spare alternator, but before I put it on I want to make sure I don't have any wiring issues. *sigh*

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
You guys need to check the harnesses out. Ohm out the wires. THe ground, voltage and charge wires all come through the wiring harness. If they are old the terminals could be falling of the wire or the wire can break. Take some time and trace the wires back to run some ohm checks using a digital multi meter. THe ground is on the driver side of the alternator (back side whatever) has a small 8mm bolt that holds the cable on. You can run your own ground cable from that point using some 8 gauge wire to any bolt that goes into the chassis on the passenger side. One thing you may want to do is pull the alternator and have it checked for proper voltage. It may be over voltage or something causing your problems.

Brent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts