SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i take my alternator to autozone and have it checked out to see if it works since im having charging issues....the alternator checks out at 14v. When i test it at home with a voltemeter, it only reads 10v. The battery is brand new(just got it today) and the car does not hold a charge, i checked the grounds and rewired some to a better location and its still the same thing, only running 10v from the alternator. Does anyone know what the problem could be? i do have to alternators, and they both read 10v when plugged into my car, the pully and belts are fine, anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You probably have a problem with the connector (wires) that plug into the alternator, maybe clean the connector or look for a damaged wire. good luck

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nismo nx said:
You probably have a problem with the connector (wires) that plug into the alternator, maybe clean the connector or look for a damaged wire. good luck

well, i ran the alternator without the power cable and it still reads the same voltage from the power source.... the only thing i can think of is the field circuit, i think thats what its called. Does anyone know the schematics on how an alternator works?

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
This may be a long shot.....

Do you have aftermarket pulleys on the car? They might be causing some alternator issues. I have an ASP crank pulley on my G and even though it's good performance wise, it may be affecting my alternator and electrical system due to the smaller diameter of the crank pulley.

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
howard_w13 said:
This may be a long shot.....

Do you have aftermarket pulleys on the car? They might be causing some alternator issues. I have an ASP crank pulley on my G and even though it's good performance wise, it may be affecting my alternator and electrical system due to the smaller diameter of the crank pulley.
i actually do have the UR crank pulley, but ive had it on my car for a long time without any issues...its been over a year since its been on my car :confused:

·
The Genesis
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NiceGuy said:
Check the battery terminals (inside of terminals). If they are corroding, there is your problem.
the battery and battery terminals are fine....the problem lies elsewhere. See, the power source from the alternator is only pushing 9-10v....im thinking either the belts on the alternator are not spinning fast enough to crank enough power? The belts are fine, they are not slipping, but i dont know if one of the pulleys might be too tight and therefore not letting the pulleys freely spin :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts