SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..whats the average life you've gotten out of your alternators? My original went a good 85,000 miles...since then I've replaced it with a Autolight or whatever that orange box fawker that comes from Kragens/Shucks.....has a lifetime warranty but in the last 13,000 miles I've had to have that SOB swapped 3 times. Even though the replacements are free...im tired of dealing with it. The nissan dealership out here wants 270 for a brand new one...im wondering if its worth it. What type of experiences have you guys have with Alternators?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Black200sxser had the same problem as you. I think he went through 4 of those replacements in just a few months. He finally opted for the alternator from nissan and hasn't had a problem since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine ('91 SE-R) went at about 10 years and 185k. My wife's (also '91 SE-R) is still going at 10 years and 182k.

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it seems like those remanafactured or rebuilt alternators suck..so Im gonna go purchase a Nissan one from a stealership.....but quick question...what type of prices are most of you guys paying when you had to purchase one? 270 from a stealership out here

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
'Stank;

Mine just pooped out last week, at 8 years, 4 months, and 150,007 miles. So, I got my money's worth.

I called up Andreas Miko, and he sent me one pulled from the many, many engines he gets in...for $65. If it works, beautiful. If it goes bad in 2 months, I still can't argue $65.

Just a thought/suggestion.
-GP-

·
Recovering Rice Boy
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm....maybe thats the way im gonna gave to go then...how long did it take you to get it after you ordered it?

·
Low flying black object
669 Posts
Make sure you get your money back from Kragen/Checker...t5hen you will have most of the money for the new one...I think I paid $239.00 w/out a trade (core) Autozone gave me crap bout that, so I got to keep the core charge....anyway...the $65.00 ones are a good price, and actually I went thru 7 remand alts all together...I was DONE...DONE swapping alternators on my car..I can do an alternator in like 25 minutes tho! :D :D The Nissan ones have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty..soooo it's up to you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts