SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was trying to do that distributor rotor trick thing to get 1 hp and I just didnt understand it. So I loosened the rotor and twisted it as far right as I could and then tightened it. Its maybe a few centimeters forward then before. Will I be able to kick some Corvette ass now or what?
ok, maybe an Insight.

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
You are doing it wrong. Take the rotor off, and inside the shaft is a screw. You might need a rachet adapter to get the needed torque to loosen it. Loosen the screw, turn the dist. shaft clockwise, then tighten the screw while holding the shaft tight. If you get anything dirty out of that, you need to pull your head out of the gutter.

·
fabricator
841 Posts
Wow, um, no. You needed to use a timing light to do this. Just turning it a bunch one way can either make you lose a bunch of power or cause detonation from too much advance. Don't drive the car at all. To make it safe to drive to get/borrow a timing light, loosen the two distributor bolts and twist it so its right in the middle and tighten it back down. In *MOST* cases, this should be somewhere in the realm of acceptable timing. You should read the instructions on se-r.net. If you did, you didn't read them very carefully. You probably shouldn't just do stuff like this without knowing exactly what you're doing; there is potential to cause serious problems.

wait.... i just re-read your post. Did you turn the whole distributor, or did you actually open it and turn the rotor? if you did the latter, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR until you put it back where it was. the rotor is in a very specific location. If you don't have access to a timing light, you should leave this to a professional.

EDIT>>
Eric, what are you talking about? that is NOT something you should ever do!

Andris

[This message has been edited by andris (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andris:
if you did the latter, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR until you put it back where it was. the rotor is in a very specific location. If you don't have access to a timing light, you should leave this to a professional.

Andris

</font>
THATS WHAT I DID AND TOOK A TEST DRIVE!
DOE!! ok, thanks. now i have something to fix tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.