SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked around and unable to find the switch/knob for changing the timing.

If its around all the belts and pullies its gonna be hard to reach....

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Limited Slip:
Ive looked around and unable to find the switch/knob for changing the timing.

If its around all the belts and pullies its gonna be hard to reach....
</font>
Huh?
You have to loosen the distributer in order to set the timing. Even before then it is still a lot more involved. Let me get the URL for you.
http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_timing.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's a page I made on how to check your timing. I took the info from se-r.net and added pics.
Timing page

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

[This message has been edited by NoVTECSER (edited 04-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by NoVTECSER (edited 04-21-2001).]

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...the pics are what i was looking for.

where are they, though? are they the little white marks behind the belt?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im still a bit clueless. if anyone would point out the vicinity of the settings on these pics .. (if my is even remotely close)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Dude, its totally easy. I hope you have a timing light too, or else its kinda hard(LOL) to do this. That first pic you posted....See those white lines on the pulley? See the pointer sticking out from the engine, pointing at one of the lines? Thats what you need to shine the timing light on so its easier to see. I cant remember which mark is which, but you want the pointer somewhere between the 2 marks closest to the front of the car(opposite the firewall)You move it by loosening and moving your distributor closer to the front of the car. Just follow the directions posted.
Its really easy. And its free, so its in your best interest to pick up a couple free HP, lol.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well this was a tough sunovabotch to find!!! i was really surprise when i saw it because ive always expected it to be near the TOP pulley! but its actually at the pulley+belt below that one.

well there's that elusive needle but now i cant see the markings!!
is it supposed to be on a tab sticking out from the pulley? surely it cant be ON the pulley itself because the pulley rotates along with the belt.

man im getting frustrated just trying to get from "free power"

god bless the internet and digital imaging

[This message has been edited by Limited Slip (edited 04-22-2001).]

·
Registered
466 Posts
The markings are on the pulley. If you look at the pic I took, it shows the markings. Try to bump the starter a few times until you see the marks. This is easier if you have a helper. The yellow mark is TDC from left to right, the marks are 0(yellow), 5(1st white), 10, 13-15(big white mark), 20. you want it between the big mark and the last white mark. Honestly, if you are having this much trouble, please take your car somewhere, print the direction out, and get someone to do this for you. When I first tried mine, I was completely confused. I had a friend do it for me, and I watched. I saw how it was done, now I have no problems with it. You could mess your car up if you advance it too far or something else.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Using my web space without my permission huh?

Your camera sucks. Needs a higher framerate so you can see all of the flashes

Limited Slip- in his video the reason why you can see them when his timing light flashes (it flashes a lot faster and more regularly, his camera just doesn't catch every time it does it since the timing light is basically a strobe light) and will just flash when those timing marks are at the top. I've never had the luck to see them with the car off before. Do you have a timing light yet?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have no idea what a timing light is but i took it out in the open sun today. yesterday i was fumbling around in the garage with limited light so it was dark. now i can see the markings... they're faded... but i can still tell.

mines set at 10. 200 more miles when this tank empties im bumping it up! thanks guys

·
Registered
466 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what a timing light is, PLEASE take your car somewhere to have this done. There is no way in hell you can know what your timing is set at without a timing light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts