SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm really starting to think my SR20 is choked up. I have all the bolt ons except ECU and exhaust. When you consider how damned restrictive the stock B14 exhaust is (alot more so than the B13) you can bet I have way too much backpressure. The thing is though I can't see paying $500 + for a Greddy cat-back, so I think I'm gonna make my own.

What I plan to do:

Purchase the Pacesetter cat-back exhaust if I can find it for my car.

Does anyone know if the 95-97 SE-R exhaust will fit onto a 98 SE with a little work? I know that Ben Davis bought Ryan Walshs Courtesy cat-back at Salt Fest but I remember them having some minor fit issues. I'd rather just have a direct fit in system.

Anyways, the Pacesetter cat-back is fairly cheap at only $150. I would just use the mandrel bent cat-back piping and sell the muffler (the muffler is shitty IMO)

Then I need to decide on what kind of muffler I want. I will probably wind up just getting a generic universal one of some kind. Any thoughts, tips, comments?

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 05-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Dynomax Ultra Flo part # 17283. About $100 and they have a $25 rebate if you buy it before July. I plan on this plus the Topspeed (Courtesy) b-pipe, $199 at a local shop. If its too loud, I'll add/replace the resonator with #17263 (also about $100 and a $25 rebate). That way I'll have an all stainless steel system.

I thought the pacesetter had problems rusting. I would guess that you'll have to shorten the b-pipe the same way as the courtesy.

Greddy's does fit the 98-99 without modifications. I don't know if you can buy just the b-pipe, though.

G

·
0 Posts
do you have a local muffler shop? if you do bring it to them, the people in my area cut my stock **** off from the cat and put on 2.25 piping, all they did was use my old pipe as a model. i paid 325 total, including the muffler.

------------------
92 nx2000 - im good enough, im smart enough, and dogonnit, poeple like me!

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Well I'm really starting to think my SR20 is choked up. I have all the bolt ons except ECU and exhaust</font>
hehe...you dont have pullies!!!!!!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, well this afternoon taking some of your advice I went to look at some universal mufflers. I found a 2 1/4" Dynomax but unforunately it was like $129....a bit more than I wanted to spend. So I found another straight through muffler, for $75 I got a Pilot. It's 14" long and all stainless. I will be using a a 3 1/2 resonated tip to finish it off. I hope it sounds OK!

As far as the cat-back goes, I ordered the Pacesetter cat-back exhaust (2 1/4" mandrel bent piping) for $160 shipped from Nopi. I've already had one of their cat-backs and I was pleased with it. It has smooth mandrel bends with a resonator to cut down on the noise a bit. I will just be selling the Pacesetter muffler and using the Pilot one. If anyones interested to buy the Pacesetter muffler from me cheap I'll let you guys have first dibs.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
I thought the pacesetter had problems rusting. I would guess that you'll have to shorten the b-pipe the same way as the courtesy.

Greddy's does fit the 98-99 without modifications. I don't know if you can buy just the b-pipe, though.
</font>
Well I had the Pacesetter cat-back (used a Remus muffler) on my '91 SE-R and it held up fine. Never had any rust problems.

I know the Greddy fits right in, BUT it's ridiculously expensive. I'd rather have an ECU for that much money <which I need badly!>

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)

·
0 Posts
Hey Storm GREAT IDEA!!
I never thought of buying the Pace setter and then just using the mendrel piping. I'm going to copy this idea too. I heard them mufflers suck anyways. But hey what can you expect for $150. I hope I can make at least $50-$60 on the muffler. It should fit almost anything, right? E-bay here I come!!
As for the actual muffler I want, I am still searching for it.
When you finish I'd like to see pics of how it came out. THANKS!!

------------------
"Spidey"
3x ex-Honda owner

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had the Courtesy pipe put on my 99 SE. It had to be cut a tad and the flange re-welded back on. For future reference, I believe the pipe is only 1.5" too long, this is due to the longer cats on 98/99s. Everything else fit just right. I have a 5Zigen 304Max muffler, similiar to N1 or Arospeed Bomb mufflers. Really nice, keep the insert in for the street(mellow but sweet sound). Take the insert out for the strip and the car totally changes. Cams make the car sound more evil without the insert.

Fred
99 Sentra SE

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
Hey Storm GREAT IDEA!!
I never thought of buying the Pace setter and then just using the mendrel piping.I hope I can make at least $50-$60 on the muffler. It should fit almost anything, right? E-bay here I come!!
When you finish I'd like to see pics of how it came out. THANKS!!
</font>
Glad to be of service
I'll definately have some pics taken once its all completed, which should be the end of next week. (Damn slow NOPI shipping)

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
496 Posts
Order mandrel exhaust elbows from JC Whitney and a glass pack as a resonator and take them to an exhaust shop they cam supply the straight pipe sections and wella you have a mandrel bent exshuast NOT crush bent. My bro down here in Leesburg could weld that up for you. He won't charge alot either as long as your girlfriend brings me a box of nerds i can guarantee you won't spend more than $50 bucks

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gpser96:
Order mandrel exhaust elbows from JC Whitney and a glass pack as a resonator and take them to an exhaust shop they cam supply the straight pipe sections and wella you have a mandrel bent exshuast NOT crush bent. My bro down here in Leesburg could weld that up for you. He won't charge alot either as long as your girlfriend brings me a box of nerds i can guarantee you won't spend more than $50 bucks
</font>

LOL. Those damned Nerds. Don't they sell them down south??
I have a nice box sitting a few feet from me

Anyways, good suggestions, but I'm gonna go with this univeral straight-thru muffler and the Pacesetter cat-back. It's mandrel bent and has a resonator and stuff. I just really need the extra HP on the high end side with these cams. After the exhaust is done and I get around to installing my UR pulleys I'll have all the bolt-ons except an ECU

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom Exhaust, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts & shifter bushing, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
858 Posts
Jordan, did you hear my custom ex. at e-t dyno day? 21/2 " test pipe with a thrush 21/2" glasspack resonator and 2 1/4 " mandrel bent pipes to a dyno max muffler with semi rice 3 1/2 " tip? all together,190 dollars welded and sprayed for durability.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
Jordan, did you hear my custom ex. at e-t dyno day? 21/2 " test pipe with a thrush 21/2" glasspack resonator and 2 1/4 " mandrel bent pipes to a dyno max muffler with semi rice 3 1/2 " tip? all together,190 dollars welded and sprayed for durability.</font>
Hmm. I can't recall. It probably was cool though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts