SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm talking with one of my customers. It's actually the guy prepping Neal Sapp's Integra for World Challenge. I tell him I've got to do a tranny rebuild and while I'm in there, I might as well get a Nismo LSD. And he says to me "Don't do a thing until you talk to this guy..."

So I call this guy who is with ATS (www.a-t-s-usa.com). Apparently they import all sorts of stuff from Japan. And he can get me a clutch-type LSDs with either steel or carbon plates. Sounds good so far, until he tells me the steel plate LSDs are $1270, and the carbon ones are $1370.

So I guess I'm going to further investigate the $700 Nismo option....

·
Registered
124 Posts
damn!!! thats $$$ will the helical LSD from a spec V work in an S-13? i know a guy who wrecked his, and i was thinking about this option...if it would work.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
MaddMatt said:
So I'm talking with one of my customers. It's actually the guy prepping Neal Sapp's Integra for World Challenge. I tell him I've got to do a tranny rebuild and while I'm in there, I might as well get a Nismo LSD. And he says to me "Don't do a thing until you talk to this guy..."

So I call this guy who is with ATS (www.a-t-s-usa.com). Apparently they import all sorts of stuff from Japan. And he can get me a clutch-type LSDs with either steel or carbon plates. Sounds good so far, until he tells me the steel plate LSDs are $1270, and the carbon ones are $1370.

So I guess I'm going to further investigate the $700 Nismo option....
ATS doesnt make an application for us, I already checked.

The Nismo diff is the best working one by far. I have noticed on SE-R cup cars from the drivers seat that the Quaife allows a bunch of inside wheel spin in tight hairpin turns, enough to smoke the tire. This is a drawback especily when a quaife totaly loses traction when one wheel gets airborn, like when clipping FIA curbs.

The Nismo also helps prevent inside wheel lockup and the quaife won't. The only advantage a quaife has is better steering feel while turning under power and a little less understeer in midspeed turns under power.

The Nismo is better everywhere elses.

Mike

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really?? Won't work huh? This guy seemed pretty sure it would. OK, I guess that ends that.

SE-Racer, lest shoot for the last weekend this month, the 27th or 28th. I'd prefer the 27th so there's an extra day in case we have problems.

Still on the fence about the slip. I just spent a week (and a BUNCH of money) skiing in Wyoming...

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
Calum you are obviously right.

The NFB9510 by ATS works in all SR18/SR20DE engines that came with a VLSD equipped tranny.

Same for CUSCO with LSD185B-xxx.

Chris

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Damn $1300....no thanks I'll take the Nismo LSD for $700.....

-Josh

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
MaddMatt said:
Really?? Won't work huh? This guy seemed pretty sure it would. OK, I guess that ends that.

SE-Racer, lest shoot for the last weekend this month, the 27th or 28th. I'd prefer the 27th so there's an extra day in case we have problems.

Still on the fence about the slip. I just spent a week (and a BUNCH of money) skiing in Wyoming...
Unless they just starting importing one that will work. I enquired over a year ago.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
hpro123 said:
Calum you are obviously right.

The NFB9510 by ATS works in all SR18/SR20DE engines that came with a VLSD equipped tranny.

Same for CUSCO with LSD185B-xxx.

Chris
I know Cusco makes one. The RS diff might work pretty well. I have one on my Z32 and its smooth.

Mike

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
I know Cusco makes one. The RS diff might work pretty well. I have one on my Z32 and its smooth.

Mike
off topic...how many cars do you HAVE Mike? dang!

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Damn, an all Nissan fleet! Kind of like me except none of your cars are in the 18 second range ;)

The Z32 from SCC, Project pheonix, the green 200SX SER also of SCC fame, the dog car and what's the other one, your SRX car?

·
Registered
765 Posts
What options are available for those of us with a 98-99 non lsd trans? I mean besides a Quaife or a Phantom grip. Anybody know?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
FastNX said:
Damn, an all Nissan fleet! Kind of like me except none of your cars are in the 18 second range ;)

The Z32 from SCC, Project pheonix, the green 200SX SER also of SCC fame, the dog car and what's the other one, your SRX car?
Yeah my under construction SRX car. My Pathfinder probably runs 18's!

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
SR20DEviant said:
What options are available for those of us with a 98-99 non lsd trans? I mean besides a Quaife or a Phantom grip. Anybody know?
Nismo makes an LSD for non LSD transmissions so the non-lsd tranny is not a handicap. Its what I run in the dog car.

Mike

·
Registered
765 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Nismo makes an LSD for non LSD transmissions so the non-lsd tranny is not a handicap. Its what I run in the dog car.

Mike
Awesome, thanks. Where would I be able to get one from? I know Nissan dealers now carry Nismo parts, but I've never checked a catalog. Nissan Motorsports perhaps?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the guys was pretty sure the slip for the Primera and Sunny would work no problem. And the 1300 bones includes air freight from Japan.

Still, for 600 less...that Nismo is talking to me...

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
SR20DEviant said:
Awesome, thanks. Where would I be able to get one from? I know Nissan dealers now carry Nismo parts, but I've never checked a catalog. Nissan Motorsports perhaps?
Its a Nissan Motorsports item. Courtesy or Greg Volgel can get it for you no problem. For some reason its also slightly cheaper than the VLSD tranny version.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts