SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Were you granny shifting when you should have been double clutching??

Sorry to hear the bad news bro. If it makes you feel any better, I blew off an IC pipe yesterday...then put it right back on

·
-
3,560 Posts
What he said...good excuse for a VE!

·
Registered
369 Posts
akapaul said:
[vent]just got a rod knock[/vent]

:( :( :(
That sucks. I've said it time and again, pay attention to the oiling system on your SR20 more than anything else! It's the weakest part of the motor. Flush regularly, use proper oil/filter, be sure your oil pan isn't dented etc etc.

If you got the inspiration, this is a good excuse for a motor build up. :)

·
Owned by Maximas!
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's pretty much official now. I was on the highway doing 50mph in 5th gear when it died out on me 3 hours ago. I pull over to the shoulder and pop the hood. Oil is really dark colored and smoke was coming out of the hole where you put the dipstick in. I had it towed home. I tried starting it in front of my house but it wont even crank.

Now for my options. I can get a DE, DET, or VE. Problem is.. I'm not in a too good of a financial situation. I do have 0% APR financing on a credit card till mid October so this is going to help me out. I have $1500-$2000 to finance max. I know I can pay it off on time before the 0% APR financing expires.

The cheapest option would be to get a DE from Soko (20minutes away from my house). $350.. Swap the motor and I should be set.

Since I'm forced to swap the engine, why not upgrade? I would love to get a DET. This would run me around $1200. I would also need to buy a downpipe and a Greddy E-Manage. On top of all this I would need a new clutch since I'm running the stock one. I'm pretty sure the DET would fry it up in no time.

I don't think I should even consider the VE. Far too expensive.

My main concern is to get the car up and running. I NEED it for work. If I can't drive - I can't work - I can't get paid. I'm leaning toward option #1. I can always turbo the DE once I get the finances and do it right. What is your opinion? What would you do?

TIA

·
Registered
695 Posts
Since we got Emissions here, I would just stick with a low port US motor. Check engine lights for EGR, EVAP, etc are not gonna be good with the state. I think the engine locked up due to no oil.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Since this is your primary transortation, my advice is to get a DE and prep it for boost upon installation. Get some Prothane motor mounts, and a good clutch and maybe a lightweight flwheel while you have it apart. Do you need a new clutch cable? Do it now if you do. Also, pull the throwout bearing shaft out, and lube it up.

This will also be a great time to do things like steering rack and shifter bushings, they're stupid cheap, and will be allot easier to do while the engine is out.

Since you have to drain the tranny anyway, order some Redline for it. Also, don't forget the typical tuneup parts. Oh, one more thing.... if you don't have them already, throw a set of UR pulleys on. Again, this is something easier to do with the engine out, plus all these mods will make the car more fun to drive until you boost it.

Good luck man,
Chris

·
WWJD
2,092 Posts
I say do what yo gotta do, be smart don't rush into going turbo! go turbo when everything is gravy.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I agree with the DE idea. See if you can buy a UK 10:1 now that you are looking for a motor.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
chriscar said:
Since this is your primary transortation, my advice is to get a DE and prep it for boost upon installation. Get some Prothane motor mounts, and a good clutch and maybe a lightweight flwheel while you have it apart. Do you need a new clutch cable? Do it now if you do. Also, pull the throwout bearing shaft out, and lube it up.

This will also be a great time to do things like steering rack and shifter bushings, they're stupid cheap, and will be allot easier to do while the engine is out.

Since you have to drain the tranny anyway, order some Redline for it. Also, don't forget the typical tuneup parts. Oh, one more thing.... if you don't have them already, throw a set of UR pulleys on. Again, this is something easier to do with the engine out, plus all these mods will make the car more fun to drive until you boost it.

Good luck man,
Chris
Sounds like Chris has had to do this before! :) I think Chris has the right idea.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
i just picked up my motor from soko today. i got it for 375 picked up. im not sure, but i might have a uk 10:1 motor cause the valve cover is kinda like brushed aluminum and instead of acorn nuts holding the valve cover down, it has bolts. it is a really clean motor too.

·
Charlie Brown look alike
3,825 Posts
Sounds like it's a 9.5:1 Primera motor. Those motors are still strong though. Good luck with everything. Just remember to do it once AND do it right. That will save you alot of heartache and time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Paul. I agree with most of the others. Put the DE in now, do the convenient mods while it's out, boost it later. If there's a geekout I'll be there to help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
UK Primera motor has a red valve cover, I had one of these in my SE-R. Silver valve cover, internall coil dist and normal bolts holding the VC down is the 10:1 motor. UK Primera is the best one out of all of the DEs, cause its got the red valve cover :p I would just put a DE in it, its more cost effective than a DET when going turbo. T25 sucks, and GTi-Rs are a PITA in a B14 and emissions. I can't live with a T25 myself knowing there are cars out there who will hand a T25 its ass.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts