SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had great luck with whatever the original starter is in my '94 SE-R. The sqealing was fixed at around 60K and I've had 120K miles go by since without a problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
858 Posts
damnit I don't know if theres any difference from rebuilt to new but this is the 3rd starter death so far but my mechanic will put another starter (rebuilt) for nothing guaranteed for 3 months or I feel like getting a new one from courtesy and never mind the guarrantee. which is the good starter with no squeeling and best for 91 se-r?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Man, that sucks. I replaced my starter with one from Checker autoparts (schucks,cragen, checker, theyre all the same) and it seems to be running great, no noise, starts just fine, and has a lifetime warranty.

Kris94G20

[Edited by kbslacker (11-23-2000 at 01:30 PM).]

·
Registered
858 Posts
liftime warranty! WTF where is tis place? Throw me a bone man! hook it up .i've never heard of this auto parts with lifetime on electrical parts. Bring on the info bro! share the wealth!

·
Registered
883 Posts
What! You have never heard of a Checker autoparts, or a Schucks, and even a Cragun. I had an alternator that went bad after about a year and a half. It started making this clanking sound, so I took it out, took it back, with the original receipt, and they gave me a replacment. I think the main thing is you have to have the original reciept.

Kris94G20

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
lance,

you said you had your squealing "fixed" around 60k. How did you have it "fixed?" Repaired it? Replaced it? Magical incantation with tarot cards?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ben- The squealing sound is coming from the gear not pulling back into the starter from the flywheel once the engine starts. The starter was removed and the gear assembly was lubricated- problem solved. Probably not the most technical description but you get the idea. The tarot card idea might work too- give it a try.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
So use like my Mobil 1 synth pink grease stuff on it? Just take it out and rub it all in there?

Everyone calls it "starter squeal" when my "squeal" doesn't sound like a "squeal" at all. After we put the starter back in from replacing the tranny from the turbo/clutch install and started her up it sounding more like grinding noise. And now it does it when I first start her up in the morning, just a little grinding type noise. Eric told me "YES THAT IS STARTER SQUEAL" but I still don't how the phrase was coined since it doesn't sound like squeal.

If that doesn't work, definitely tarot cards.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More or less- there's a shaft that engages the starter gear with the flywheel and it's not retracting properly. Mine sounded like nails on a blackboard and lasted about 1-2 seconds after startup. My buddy's 92 & 94 Classics did the same thing and was fixed the same way. To be completely honest, while I normally do all my own work I was living away from home at the time and had a local place fix it for about $40. Took one look at the starter location and decided I didn't want to try removing it in my driveway in the Maine winter.

G

·
Have had starter squeal twice, around 30,000 and 123,000 miles. I removed starter, took it apart, cleaned and repacked the planetary gears and all moving parts.The old grease was contaminated and sticky. I also lightly filed the teeth where they engage the flywheel. Be sure to lube the lever and spring that work off the solenoid. I pack the planetary gears by filling the hole with grease and holding my finger over it while pushing the gear back on the metal pin. I am still using the original factory starter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts