SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to forego the ECU mod and just use a boost regulated fuel pressure riser and an aftermarket ignition system to pull out timing as needed?

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Yes N No. Change the fuel pump! But then again if you want to be playing with the car all the time don't do that, Just get a JWT ECU for the plug n play. Depends on what kinda person you are....

------------------

Do you smell what the talon is cooking?

·
Registered
782 Posts
You can run a boost dependant fuel pressure regulator like the Vortech FMU, but you will only be able to run as much fuel as your injectors can handle. The stock 259cc injectors can only support about 4-5 psi of boost. At this point you will be adding fuel at a rate of 6:1 (Fuel:Boost), but then you will have to figure out the ingition side of it. That is where the JWT ECU comes into play. Rather than mess around with aftermarket ignition controllers, fuel controllers, etc..... you can get a JWT ecu for the same amount of money as these and the car will run right from the start without tuning. Just some food for thought!

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks 2.00 60' time), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I really really appreciate the informative answers, Scarpa is right. JWT will POSSIBLY be hacking the B15 ECU later ths year, but I am not holding my breath. I am not real thrilled with the thought of having to hack things up to put in the 97 ECU. I will say that if JWT does the ECU as promised I will not hesitate to get it. I'm just trying to make plans if they don't, because when I'm ready to do it I'm not going to wait around.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What "Hacking" are you talking about? You classify pulling a few pins out of the ECU and re-pinning , "Hacking"? That is hardly "Hacking"! The 97 ECU upgrade to a 98-01 SR20DE isn't too large of a job. As long as you have some sort of mechanical skills, you should be able to do it. If you do not wish to try re-pinning the ECU, I suggest waiting. You will have a much safer, dependable, and reliable turbo system if you have the right engine control unit. You could aslo go the Stand Alone System route. Only problem is, you will need to do extensive dyno tuning.

------------------
Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Kuhmo 205/40/ZR17 Tires

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Repinning? How do you get the pins in and out? I had to cut and splice, NOT fun AT ALL. One of the wires I did that to pulled itself out of the splice and I had to redo it with barely any wire slack left. Don't you have to have some special tool to move the pins around?

I guess doing that wiring is worth it, but it's very careful work and it's just not a good thing to hack up your wiring harness, especially when there's little to no slack to play with. I'd recommend doing it this way over the rising FPR and stuff, but if there is a way to safely remove and reset the pins, by all means let the world know!

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

·
Registered
782 Posts
There are actual tools made for repinning. We use them for harnesses when doing access control systems. You can get them ot most communication supply stores, radioshack.com, Jensen Tools (jensentools.com) and a couple of other places. They allow you to pull the pin out and replace where ever it needs to go.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Right now I am awaiting a call back from JWT about reworking the '97 ecu for the '00. Yes we all know it is possible, but I live in a emissions state so I have to get most of the smog stuff working. I called them on friday and if I don't get a call back by tomorrow I am going to give them a call to see where they stand.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ive always wondered this....why dont JWT make an adapter, or someone, for the 98+ computers. Just plug the wireing harness into it, then plug it into the ECU. Like a null modem connector for computer cables. It would make such things much easier to do. Im sure JWT has a good reason, probaly legal issues and emmisions defauliting problems they could get with the EPA. Then they would have to label them "off road use only"
like that ever means much to the AM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, stupid question. Is there a specific name for the pin removal tool? If JWT can get the emissions working on the B15 I will go that route. If not I will have to find another way. Thanks for all the info, guys.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you go to www.jensentools.com, you can search via their web page. Search with keywords "Insertion/Extraction Tool". AMP is one manufacturer of these types of tools. You should be able to get them from Jensen. They run from $20.00-$130.00 for a set. You can also call Jensen Tools @ 800-426-1194 and request a catalog. You can also cal them @ 602-453-3169. They are local here in AZ. 7815 South 46th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85044.

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Pins/Paperclips and small eyeglass repair screwdrivers work good too. All you have to do is get something small enough in their and poke the clip then pull it out. It worked for my o2 sensor pins.

Mike 98 Sentra Turbo w/97 ECU and a mill light

G

·
ok, here's one for ya...

since coming up with a chunk of change up front for me is not feasable, would it be feasable to buy it a part at a time, say the gti-r spooler, then the intake mani, then the intercooler, etc?? by then, jwt may have the ecu.

i know, i could take the money for each part and save it as i get it for a kit, but just curious on your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Well I just got off the from with JWT. They basically said use the '95 ecu, change over to the '95 O2 sensors. They said I was on my own for figuring out the pin out and so forth. They also said some of the emission controls aren't going to work. Wether enough of them will work for me to pass a sniff test I don't know. I would also have to find a turbo friendly garage when i went in for the test because there is a visual. Overall, after talking to them I am pretty discouraged. I want to try something new, just not sure if I can muddle through it.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ben98SentraSE:
Repinning? How do you get the pins in and out? I had to cut and splice, NOT fun AT ALL. One of the wires I did that to pulled itself out of the splice and I had to redo it with barely any wire slack left. Don't you have to have some special tool to move the pins around?

I guess doing that wiring is worth it, but it's very careful work and it's just not a good thing to hack up your wiring harness, especially when there's little to no slack to play with. I'd recommend doing it this way over the rising FPR and stuff, but if there is a way to safely remove and reset the pins, by all means let the world know!

</font>
There are tool you can buy to do this but I made my own out of those thin strips of stainless steel in wiper blades. I just ground them thinner on my bench grinder to fit inside the connector to press the connector pins tab down.

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Damnit! Wish this info was around a LONG time ago...

grrrr...
(not ya'lls fault)

Ben
w/hacked to hell wiring harness... and MIL light

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, that was a nice answer from JWT. They basically said," **** off, we have REAL projects to work on." It's a shame that the cutting edge company of Nissan performance has such a give-a-**** attitude for the general Nissan enthusiast. Too bad there is no one else to step up and take the lead. This is where not having enough aftermarket Nissan manufacturers hurt the brand.
Anywaaaaaaay, I have a plan on how to do this w/o JWT. For fuel delivery, 370cc injectors with fuel being supplied under boost by the Vortech FMU (boost regulated fuel pressure riser). Timing/ignition may be handled by an MSD Boost Timing Master which retards the timing when under boost. It could also be handled by an MSD-6 BTM. There are additional details to be worked out, but these are the biggest two it looks like. Please feel free to comment on this idea as your feedback is really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I'm not a fan of throwing a bunch of electronic devices together to try to get something to work. They weren't made to work together.

I would much rather run the hacked wired '95 JWT ecu. I have a service manual for my 2000 already. I just need the one from the 1995 which I am sure I can get a print out from one of you guys.

Some of you who are running the pre '98 computers in your post '97 cars have said you still get a MIL light though. Is that because you haven't swapped the rear O2 sensor, or is there just no way to get rid of that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts