SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
************anti-flame suit on************

ooops, thats not it.......here it is....

Can anyone else agree that its easy to get the classic going sideways. I have this horrible habit of sliding thru turns everywhere I go. I even try to slide in parking spots. The other day I was racing a 2nd gen RX-7 and totally dusted his ass after a viscious power slide on a highway
chicane turn. Just a lil oversteer will get this thing drifting like a BEEITCH!!

------------------
and me and my wife

-

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
How fast are driving ??

I used to do it with pick-up's on loging roads when I used to work for a loging company, but I could never do it on a public road for fear of hiting some one.

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokohama avid h4
ACT clutch on order

·
Registered
723 Posts
i have a subwoof enclosure that adds ~70 pounds to my rear end
(yes, i weighted it)

its almost impossible to toss the car around with it in place... but man... once i take the sub out and leave it at home my ass is as free as a bird

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
Ive never got my car to drift without the road being wet in an open parking lot while pulling myebrake..perhaps i dont want to killl anyone, or my self

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap
Aim: avurX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:
How fast are driving ??

</font>
I have two favorite spots.
One is a left turn to a long on ramp on the highway. I keep it in 2nd and do about 40 thru the turn. Mind you, all four tires give way. I pretty much have that down.
The second is that highway chicane that looks like something of off the Daytona 500.
That one is a hill chicane. It goes up as its curving and then shoots down. All with a lil elevation on the outer lanes. I usually pull a 3rd gear going about 65-70.
I wont do it though if theres cars on the highway. I do play it safe most of the time.
But when Im all alone or racing, then its on!
Im just asking for a ticket. I take that APEX like a bitch and steer thru all the lanes so I can just shoot outta there.
I wouldnt dare attempt it doing 70 in my Crx, for some reason the "Rex" doesnt feel as safe. It feels like im going to flip.
Whereas in the SE-R I just slide while still horizantal. But back to my question:
Anybody else agree the B13 stock is extremely tossable?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, the B13 is way more tossable than a B14. I've had both and man, does the B13 like to get out on you.

Some stiff trail braking going fast into a corner, slam the steering wheel and woo-hoo...it's on like Donkey-Kong! Make sure you have some run-out area to correct.

All this on a skid-pad of course!

Be safe,
Ryan

·
Registered
723 Posts
uh... once i tried to hit a fairly soft sweeper hard... i felt as if the car was going to flip over....

i kept on the gas and tried to hit the turn late as opposed to braking and apexing... boy was that scary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do it more often than i should (read: every chance i get
).
i've even got it down in my girlfriend's '87 auto VW cabriolet. it has a nice, stiff bilstein/neuspeed suspension which helps a bit, but it still takes a bit of coaxing.
i accelerate into the turn and then lift throttle oversteer right at the apex. it's great. of course i never do this when anybody else is near...

------------------
"more housing
developments go up
named after the things
they replace,
so welcome to
meadowbrook, and welcome to shady
space."
-modest mouse

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you boys dont play in snow much do you ? i have learned that my G20 acts more like a sprint car than a normal car in the winter i find my self "dirt tracking" it thru most turns fun but every once and awhile it decides its had enogh and before you can counter steer your faceing the wrong way . talk about snap spin. maybe this winter i will run 4 snow tires as opposed to 2 . and when it is pushed to the limits on dry warm pavement it tends to want to oversteer when you finally over cook it . weird out of a front driver . and yet i want a 300zx i saw tonight (a 1992 with 44k on it) thatd be asking for a wreck dureing the winter.....

------------------
Where are we going and why am i in this handbasket ?

·
egg-less
348 Posts
Let's see:

Fairly worn stock RE71's
plus
5 inches of virgin snow
plus
30 MPH curve (normally 55 or 60 when dry)
equals

BIIIIIIIGGGGGGG SMILES!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts

Can anyone else agree that its easy to get the classic going sideways. I have this horrible habit of sliding thru turns everywhere I go. I even try to slide in parking spots. The other day I was racing a 2nd gen RX-7 and totally dusted his ass after a viscious power slide on a highway
chicane turn. Just a lil oversteer will get this thing drifting like a BEEITCH!!

[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 94 RED. I can get my car in a nice controlled drift when I want to. It's awesome! Just don't do it near a cliff or to close to other cars and/or people.

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
i was in my friends mr2 turbo when we were on a parkway, in the right lane and there was a van in front of us in our lane so he had to go to the middle lane and there was a turn on the parkway right there and we were going pretty fast and the back slid out on us
as he turned for the curce, my friend turned the wheel into the spin and regained control, thank god, but after that we were pretty shaky about doing more **** like that

just be careful..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
94 I wouldn't expect any less out of you than a kick ass topic like this. You have got to be a pretty crazy mofo. I first thought the classic understeered too much. Then I started backing off the gas, tapping the brakes and twitching the wheel in turns and managed to kick the bastard out a few times. I have no confidence in doing this consistently so please give me instructions on how to do a controlled drift. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andymainer:
94 I wouldn't expect any less out of you than a kick ass topic like this. You have got to be a pretty crazy mofo. I first thought the classic understeered too much. Then I started backing off the gas, tapping the brakes and twitching the wheel in turns and managed to kick the bastard out a few times. I have no confidence in doing this consistently so please give me instructions on how to do a controlled drift. Thanks.</font>
Disclaimer: If you die or kill someone, it aint my fault.

ok, just be familiar with the road and obstacles around you. then just haul ass faster then normal and steer away from the curve and kick the steering wheel back towards the curve so that all 4 wheeels lose grip and the back end wants to come around.
If you're not having your life flash before your eyes then you're not doing it right. Its not a perfect drift and I sure as hell cant control it like them Japanese folks but
it can be fun and you can scare the hell out of whoever you're racing. PLEASE PLEASE USE GOOD JUDGEMENT ON THIS.

OH YEAH, brakes? what brakes? Control it with your gas. or go Kamikaze and do this:

push in your e-brake button and drill a hole going thru the handle and button. then stick a cotter pin in there and "TADA"!! instant drifting mechanism!!

------------------
-

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-27-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yeah dont forget about that cotter pin being in there. The consequences could be devastating!!

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Barney will pwn you
382 Posts
Hey see i dunno why you dont go to 3rdshift anymore... drifting has been the shiet ever since fast and the furious came out cause the cops kept busting drag spots so we found parking lots to bust up....try to do some handbreak drifts with FF cars or use wooden blocks so you can get sideways...FR Get get sideways easily. Oh yeah I also want to tell you that we have legalized drag racing now in desoto...its goin to be called Club 1320. we ckeared it with the track..only have to pay 8 collars and thats that...its goin to be set up like an actual street race...no trees no time...got to be street...no slicks...and there is a flagger. the first on over wins...if you wanna go tell me. Also I'll give you a ride in my silver bullet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been driving a 97 Camry for a few days and it's easy to drift that car on highway ramps. I am a pro at drifting on/off road motorcycles. I have much experience in bad conditions riding so half the time i ride sideways off road. Much fun! Don't worry I'll get there with the SE-R. Rather not have to pull the e brake, seems a little too forced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SERracer01:
Hey see i dunno why you dont go to 3rdshift anymore... drifting has been the shiet ever since fast and the furious came out cause the cops kept busting drag spots so we found parking lots to bust up....try to do some handbreak drifts with FF cars or use wooden blocks so you can get sideways...FR Get get sideways easily. Oh yeah I also want to tell you that we have legalized drag racing now in desoto...its goin to be called Club 1320. we ckeared it with the track..only have to pay 8 collars and thats that...its goin to be set up like an actual street race...no trees no time...got to be street...no slicks...and there is a flagger. the first on over wins...if you wanna go tell me. Also I'll give you a ride in my silver bullet.</font>
OH ****!!! WAZ UP!!!! Thats so tight that Desoto did that!! What nights? Im definitley spending a good 8 bucks for that!! What mods do you have done to the Silver Bullet?

------------------
-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts