SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Luke Pighetti
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deleted my power steering during my swap mostly because I wanted the extra space and one less fluid to remember.

anyway, i've been driving my car now off and on with the PS deleted and it's alright. I have driven my friends manual rack E for about thirty seconds on skinny stock tires. i can't really remember what it was like, but i do remember thinking it might be hard to autocross with a manual rack.

my autocross club likes to use tight courses. i was wondering if any of you manual rack guys can speak to autocross, since it requires more quick turns than road racing etc.

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a manual rack in my E and it does require fast hands. But after you drive like that for a while you get used to it.
The Sentra E rack is 4.21 turns lock to lock while the SE-R rack is 2.74.

I have thought of swapping over to a p/s rack... its on my to-do list. I have always wondered about steering effort of the manual rack vs the p/s rack with no pump.

-dave

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I drove someone's car at the convention that had removed the PS, and it sucked. i had to start turning before the turn. That was on a track, and I can't imagine trying to do the samething in an autocross. I'll keep my power steering.

·
Luke Pighetti
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove someone's car at the convention that had removed the PS, and it sucked. i had to start turning before the turn. That was on a track, and I can't imagine trying to do the samething in an autocross. I'll keep my power steering.
I've already decided that I won't be able to autocross the SE-R rack with PS deleted. I'm wondering what the guys with the E rack think. I love having the extra room, but if I can't autocross, what's the point?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I regularly attend autocrosses... its never been an issue for me; but then again I have never driven a powersteering B13.
-dave

·
Registered
559 Posts
All that and no cheese?
Drive it for a while. Your arms will get stronger using your "new" muscles. I auto-x and track my ps deleted car. I went to 2 auto-x and actually liked it better once I was use to it. The same at road courses. It gives a better "feel" the car.
Since when did not having ps have anything to do with turn-in points? Maybe unwinding the wheel has a little more effort. Nothing to "wine" about.

·
SR20 ENTHUSIAST
679 Posts
I've already decided that I won't be able to autocross the SE-R rack with PS deleted. I'm wondering what the guys with the E rack think. I love having the extra room, but if I can't autocross, what's the point?

You can do it Luke. The E rack is more stable at high speeds too!!

Chris

·
out with neck injury :-(
1,231 Posts
I guess you can do what i've seen some Scooby-onda-bishi-ru people do, and fill it with 75w90, and loop the in&out lines.

Or, how about just an extremely-underdriven p/s pump? This would effectively lower the p/s line pressure, and reduce the power lost by the engine trying to compress a liquid :rolleyes:

Think it'd be worth it to start designing a new pulley? I've got CAD/CAM, IDEAS, and access to a lathe :).
///h

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
Seems to me if you've got a hefty upper torso and arms (not in my larder, but perhaps in yours), you should be able to do acceptably well. The steering can't change - it's still direct - the only thing you changed was the assist. As long as you're moving you should be okay. Most of what you'll be doing is pushing against the built-in caster of the car (that which makes the steering want to center). Start doing a regimen of upper body strength exercises, methinks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts