SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you scrol down a couple of posts (post form yesterday)...you'll see that I was asking about the N-Tech Underbody brace...I am almost at the stage of putting it together...the pieces...I was wondering...

1. Should I braze the joints? Since brazing requires less heat therefore it doesn't stress the part as much when you are putting it together? But would I compromise strength of the part since if its an underbody brace for the lower arms, it probably goes through a lot of torsional loads.

2. Should I MIG or Arc Weld it since I have heard that welding is stronger than brazing...but I have ALSO heard that brazing is stronger...which one's true?

Insights?

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
I would think that mig would be the best because you can do small tacks at a time, and get good penetration. it's less heat compared to brazing or arc welding if you do the small tacks. Arc is definitely way to hot for sheet it would be hard to do too. I wouldn't do brazing unless your really skilled at it. because you could really warp the metal.

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokoham avid h4

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Then why do body shops use mig welders all the time ? yes true tig welding is better but its hard to find people that have tig tickits (ones that know what they are doing) and it's expencive. I think mig would be fine if you dont go crazy with it.

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokoham avid h4

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Neither ARC nor mig would be Ideal for this job, You need to inlist the Talents of a Heliarc or TIG (Tungston Inert Gas), Machine. They are more sutible for this type of work do to the meticulous fact that you can control heat and the flexing of the part, It is also More exact. MIG (Metal Inert Gas) , is too wide band and you will wind up burning holes in your Product if you are not careful, It also looks sloppy if you ask me. MIG is more for Industrial type work High OUTPUT production like Construction work With Thick Steel, and a lot of area to weld.

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:
Then why do body shops use mig welders all the time ? yes true tig welding is better but its hard to find people that have tig tickits (ones that know what they are doing) and it's expencive. I think mig would be fine if you dont go crazy with it.

</font>
Two reasons, Most dont know how to use a TIG Machine, MIGS are MONKEY PROOF, And the Machines that those shops use are only good for Thin Materials, because they dont put out enough power to To anything rather thick. Trust me I was a Fabricator since the age of 14, IM 21 now by the way, Ive done more then Enough welding on all 3 of those types of welding including FLUX Core and Submerged arc. Also a lot of body shops tend to use those small voltage Mig Machines cause they are way cheaper for the shop to use and it doesnt take as long as it would with TIG, ALso they dont want to pay for a TIG Welding Machine or someone who knows how to use it

------------------

Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you have to pull the lower control arm bolts right out to fit a brace such as this? If they are undone would it compromise the position of the arms, ie they would be under load? I was looking at building a brace before I saw this site, but I was thinking of bolting it to the steel casing that the arm fixes to, with the aim that it could be removed if nessesary due to ground clearance. You would'nt want to have one of these fitted to a lowered car, my intercooler bottoms out already on bad bumps, and Ive caught the exhaust once on a bad driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts