SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I specifically want the 99SE manual.
I would like the specs on the cams like this.
(for year 95-97)
Exhaust duration 240
Intake duration 232
intake opens 5
intake closes 47
exhaust closes 3
exhaust opens 57

This has to do with my install of the JWT cams. The installation seems correct, the power is GREAT, but the distributor is all the way forward. I know thats a symptom of being off a tooth on the exhaust cam, but when I moved the exhaust cam back a tooth (keeping the intake/exhaust relationship the correct (20 rollers or something like that -- its not in front of me now)) and the distributor was now in the correct position, I was getting knocking and high compression. I want to see if anything changed for 99 that might have an effect.

Thanks,
Jacen

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, if the timing was on, no pinging or detonation and still felt great, why mess with it?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Exactly you don't know unless you check the timming. My dis was pretty far forward but the timming was at 19 or 20. The car :( felt :( friggin awesome.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the distributor all the way forward, the timing is at 18 degrees. There is no pinging or detonation and the car feels gret. I am not messing with it, but I would like this information.

Mike, so after you put the cams in your distributor had to be farther forward than it used to be to get the same timing? If so, that does make me feel better.

I am wondering if the distributor slot on the 99 (and 98?) factory cams was changed, and thought that might show up in the specs.
Mike, can you take out your JWT ex cam and compare it to the factory cam and see if there is a difference between the two regarding the distributor slot. (You are the one who recently hit 11k rpm right? Sorry to hear that.) I talked to Jim WOlf after my install and this is what he recommended checking, but I didn't do it.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
It was a little forward but not much. I could still advance it about 1/8 inch if needed.

If its at 18 deg then it should be fine. Now if it was at 13 deg and all the way forward that would be a problem.

I can't help you with compairing the two the car is at the dealership.

Mike

P.S. Now go get the Courtesy cat back. The car will scream afterwards! And try setting the timming to 19 deg.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
well, get our b-pipe and go with the stillen exhaust, that is the combo I had on my car until, well I let some ******* try to weld the b-pipe and screw it all up, but anyways, really quiet at idle and starts to scream above 5k (it does drone a little bit, but that is what a radio is for, right?)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't set the timing to 19 degrees. 18 is maxed out.

For exhaust, I want to get a B-pipe (maybe the courtesy). Then cut off the tail ppipe and have a new one made out of stainless that is the same diameter as the courtesy b-pipe. If I decide to, I can always add a muffler to this combo. I really want the exhaust to stay quiet.

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Thats weird. Is it possible it skiped a tooth on the crank sprocket? I would ask JWT if that is possible and if it would change the timming like you described.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked with Jim Wolf and Mike Kojima during the install. They were both confident that the crank couldn't skip.
However, Mike said that both cams could have skipped a tooth (which would have the same effect as skipping on the crank). So I moved both cams one tooth, and then the distributor lined up properly at 15 degrees. BUT, the car then knocked and the compression was high (195-200). SO I put the cams back, the compression was fine there, and everything was great except for the distributor position. Thats why I'm wondering if the distributor slot or the exhaust cam changed for 98 or 99. Does this make sense to everybody?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
if its not broke......well you know the rest :) oh, and no actually that is a 4 inch tip. it is the one that comes on the stillen exhaust, and sorry about the size of the pic, all I know how to do is take em' and post em', no sizing nothing (but would like to know how)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 bux, maybe more maybe less, but that is the average cost of one. I do not know if we have one in stock or not, but we can get one

·
_______
3,640 Posts
The pipe will hit the gas tank thing. Easy fix though any mufler shop can shorten it while its on the car making it a perfict fit. The shop I brought mine to cut the pipe and then widened it out so it would slip into its self making it shorter. mmmm cams and the b-pipe what a combo that was ;-)

Mike
98 SE w/BB DET,HS FrontMount IC,UR pullies,JWT ECU,Courtesy B-pipe,96 LSD trans,GABs,Eiback springs,Pacesetter SS,Courtesy STB's F/R,ACT clutch and an empty wallet :cool:
hehe..the engine's not in yet I just wanted to see it in print!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts