SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or am i the only who finds it a bit long and deep? the previous owner just replaced the clutch cable and tightened it.. so theres no freeplay.. but thats not my problem

i just find that the clutch goes back too long... and that the movement is horizontal (it almost goes straight forward instead of down towards the floor)

i would like to operate the clutch with the ball of my foot in a fixed position.. but i find that kinda hard, especially when wearing boots. when i press in the clutch sometimes it travels so deep that i drag my whole foot along... and i wear size 10 shoes.

its a pain in the ass in traffic when i have to stick it in neutral, reposition my foot, and then shift to second.

anybody else not like their clutch? would an aftermarket pedal help? i had a 95 civic hatchback before and although the car sucked its clutch was much more enjoyable

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I hate my clutch. Call it the curse of the shitty 98 clutches. I want an ACT this summer.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PS X-Drilled Rotors, Axis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks front end

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
How far from the floor does the pedal go before the clutch starts to engage? If my memory serves me correctly there it a adjustment for pedal height you might could play around with that and the adjust at trans and make it a shorter travel, But I think the civic has hydraulic clutch? They feel alot smoother to me just not as much feedback.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thing is the 1->2 isnt smooth for me.... i think theres a little clunk when i do the 1-2... this isnt when im driving hard either...

i guess i need some Redline tranny fluid

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
My main complaint about the clutch in my 96 is the lightness. Not exactly heavy, like most sports cars. Not that the car is supposed to have a really heavy clutch.
Had a prelude with a hydraulic clutch. Smoother but I found the the cable clutch is more communicative. As in most cases I like the Nissan better. The stock clutch also slips if you whomp on it though. (surprise surprise)

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
705 Posts
I liekd my clutch....till it recently started slipping
I guess that means time for a new one. I just wanna chirpt third ONCE, Just ONCE and ill be good! Pleeeaaasseee!!! i know im capable with the s4's but all i get now is slippage

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
ACT... ACT..... yaaaaaah! While doing the trany rebuild I dropped another (updated) JWT fly wheel in and a great ACT street clutch w/a 42% over. It's my 5th clutch and favorite. The others all had to go in the junk pile. Lots of crap out there.
Hate the way your car shifts? Don't like the classic "clunk". Then go get that Red Line 75/90 gear oil. You will start to enjoy a really smoooooooth shift.

·
Registered
53 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">another thing is the 1->2 isnt smooth for me.... i think theres a little clunk when i do the 1-2... this isnt when im driving hard either...</font>
Does it sound like there's something fluttering (I can't think of a better way to describe it) around in there? I've noticed that in my car recently and it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99SR20DE-Ltd:
Does it sound like there's something fluttering (I can't think of a better way to describe it) around in there? I've noticed that in my car recently and it drives me nuts.

</font>
yeah... even if i shift slowly and smoothly... it doesnt happen in any other gear. i figure Redline fluid solves everything, though...

·
Registered
450 Posts
It is great stuff. My dealer told me that it was suggested (by Nissan) to replace the gearbox oil with synthetic b4 they do anything to the transmission. Said it fixes more (minor) problems than they can remember.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
water wetter comes in a little clear bottle, and is reaaly pink. It lowers the coolant temp. Good for anyone who lives in a hot place, and likes to beat on their car.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Right I had my Redline put in long before I did anything else. It's cheap , easy, and it makes that wonky looking dildo that we call a stock shifter, much smoother. The only difference is that the fluid is more viscous at low temp's. On cold days it needs to warm up, but it actually feels kinda cool. Oh and i almost forgot! As long as we mentioned redline, the water wetter is good for our car too. Particularly because of the soaring coolant temp, retarded ignition, and the water pump cavitation thing.

[This message has been edited by Bennitto Mallito (edited 04-25-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts