SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at a dealer? or another shop? how much did it cost you?

when i bought the car, the owner said there was something with the right front suspension.. he wasnt sure of the name.. he said it was the boot something and that the quote he got from his mechanic was 400-600. it wasnt the axle or shock or nothing like that, just the boot or something related with the grease...

recently my father helped me look at the car and he determined that it was indeed the CV boots--they were slightly cracked. i know for a fact that the CV kit dooes not cost anymore than 20 dollars. he said that the high quote though was for the LABOR.. and that it was too difficult to replace em at home.

is there anyway around it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got my boots replaced and repacked w/grease for a little over $200, but I caught it early, if it is making a grinding or a clicking noise when you turn then you probably have to replace the CV axles, that costs $400-$500, but I found that a lot of places wouldn't just replace the boots, they thought if the boot was gone, you probably need new axles. But I would have it checked by someone you trust and see of the joints are in good shape, if you don't hear any noise then you might be ok. Oh, yea, you can get the DIY CV boot kits, but I have known people that used those, and they almost always don't fit right, or break in a month or so.

·
Registered
166 Posts
check you local auto parts store here there only 80. bux I just replace my right side axle because I snaped it. at the same time I replaced the boots in the drivers side it's very easy to do. but if you replace your boots buy the CV boot pliers to tighten the strap

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If ur gonna replace the boot might as well just get a new axle...they sell for like 75 and u can pretty much do it urself...i've done mine b4...u dont even have to pop off the ball joint...takes like an hour if ur mechanically inclined...its the axle nut, and then 3 bolts holding it onto the tranny and pull out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My dad and I replaced my CV boot. You pull the axle (obviously) and at a local parts store (Autozone) you rent a CV Joint puller (can't remember the exact name). It dismantles the entire joint and allows to replace the boot. I ordered the boot from Courtesy and it was a relatively painless process (however my dad had done that several times before). You make a downpayment on the CV puller, and get your money back when you return it.

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; 17* timing; now raising funds for AGX's

·
Registered
420 Posts
My dad and I replaced my CV boot. You pull the axle (obviously) and at a local parts store (Autozone) you rent a CV Joint puller (can't remember the exact name). It dismantles the entire joint and allows to replace the boot. I ordered the boot from Courtesy and it was a relatively painless process (however my dad had done that several times before). You make a downpayment on the CV puller, and get your money back when you return it.

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R

·
Registered
420 Posts

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R

·
Registered
287 Posts
I relpaced one of my CV boots when i was puttin in a new clutch a few weeks ago.
it was easy, nissan sells a kit to redo one boot that comes with the grease, boot, C clip, and clamps. the only pain was the clamps, a two person job, hard to do with only one! the kit was something like 30 bucks i think don't rember.
good luck
Dan

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corrosion:
I relpaced one of my CV boots when i was puttin in a new clutch a few weeks ago.
it was easy, nissan sells a kit to redo one boot that comes with the grease, boot, C clip, and clamps. the only pain was the clamps, a two person job, hard to do with only one! the kit was something like 30 bucks i think don't rember.
good luck
Dan
</font>
yeah i read about a "wraparound" CV kit from pepboys through the SER Archives... are those any good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts