SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning when I start my car it sits around 1400rpm... and after 1-2 minutes it settles down at 1100rpm, and that's when i take off.

Is this a good or an unnecesary practice? Do I really need to warm up the car?

(btw i live in dallas so it doesn't even reach below 70* even at midnight)

·
Registered
178 Posts
A good rule of thumb is just wait the 30 seconds, and drive off. I don't start beating on it until she gets to operating temp. Thats the way I've always done it. It all depends. Up here in Wisconsin it gets pretty cold in the winter. In winter, I just let her warm up for about a minute and then go. I was always told its a bad thing to let your car idle excessively. I think it may say in the manual never to let the car idle for periods longer than a minute.

·
Registered
513 Posts
When your idling to warm the car up, you really just want to get a good amount of oil into the engine. In the summer this only takes about 15-30 seconds. In the winter, this could take a minute or two. After that, the best way to warm up is to just keep in under 2500 until the car is up to full operating temp. Idling past those periods does nothing for your car but increase toxin levels in the oil.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Cars aren't like people - they don't need five minutes and a cup of caffine before they can stand not to crash into walls.

With fuel injection being so much more isolated from ambient temperatures than carbs, I don't worry about a warmup cycle. I have a big, human-powered overhead garage door that I shut every morning as I leave for work. By the time I get backed out into the street to accelerate away, the engine has had plenty of time to build some oil pressure.

Getting oil into the works before putting the engine under load seems like the main concern. Like the manual says: no long idling warmup is needed in average weather. (But the manual be damned, in Winter I let it idle as long as it needs to before I can stand to touch the steering wheel.
)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay...cool... cause the only reason i let it sit is to let it "settle down"... which is when the tach drops to 1100.

G

·
0 Posts
Ah, my car idles at 750rpm once warmed up. I think that's were it should be. 1,100 is a touch high.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine idles at 750 too. I give it about 5 seconds in the morning before I go during the summer and maybe 25-30 in the winter. I granny shift it (2,500 rpm) until it's warmed up, though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you kidding me? Insert key, fire it up, crank the stereo, push clutch in, put in reverse, floor it, let clutch out, do a backwards burn out down the driveway, backwards drift into the street, clutch in, 1st gear, clutch out, burn out through first gear, get a mad chirp into second, then granny shift at 2000 to work. Works for me!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
haha, nice. I used to let it warm up a little bit in the winter. Now that its summer, start her up, tunes, windows, sunroof, rip ASS.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyn Labahn:
Are you kidding me? Insert key, fire it up, crank the stereo, push clutch in, put in reverse, floor it, let clutch out, do a backwards burn out down the driveway, backwards drift into the street, clutch in, 1st gear, clutch out, burn out through first gear, get a mad chirp into second, then granny shift at 2000 to work. Works for me!</font>
That **** is too funny!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Actually, until you're engine is in operating temp. your oil goes through a bypass, thus passing over your oil filter. As long as your oil is clean, you don't have to worry about pumping dirty oil. Just remember, the engineers think "dirty oil is better than no oil". I say filter good oil, that's why I try to let it sit until operating temp. as much as I can. Sometimes letting it sit is too unbearable.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I wait about a good minute or two. With a digital rev meter I know when she is at about 750-850 RPM sh eis ready to go or I just look at my oil pressure gauge and when it drops till about 15-20lbs i'm all set. Oil pressure came up and the car is semi-warm then we dump the clutch and blast the sounds.

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
0 Posts
I HATE PEOPLE THAT WAIT TILL OPERATING TEMPERATURE TO TAKE OFF!!!!
SOME PEOPLE AT WORK DO THAT ****!!
WTF!!!
That is so dumb!! I just start mine up wait 30 seconds and go. if its winter time then i sit there for like a minute or so.
I dont beat it up right after take off unless a Civic or Neon happen to cross my path. ;-)

G

·
0 Posts
I start the car, lock it, head in for round 2 with your mamma, and when she's good and done, the cars warm.

------------------
Wheel gap is the enemy. "Silver" 2001 SE w/perf.pkg, PR CAI, Intrax.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by niska:
Actually, until you're engine is in operating temp. your oil goes through a bypass, thus passing over your oil filter. </font>
What???? If this were true, our oil pressure light would stay on until the car came up to operating temp. The oil pressure sending unit is attached to the back of the block next to the oil filter. So, no flow to the filter means no flow to the pressure sending unit. Where did you hear this from?

------------------
David
'98 Super Black SE w/stuff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts