SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm curious to see what kind of issues there were. If it plugs into the factory harness(B14). If the trans bolts up to it. Clearance problems, sensors that need to be changed that kind of stuff.

Thinking of giving my SR20 a new lease on life.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I hope you have wheelbarrows of money to spend. VE's are more expensive than they are worth in most cases. But it is always interesting to see the results.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
wow, that engine looks GREAT! i really like the way the valve cover looks...that'd be a hell of an engine swap for sure.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
I wouldn't do that if I were you, unless you really just absolutely have to have a VE motor. For one thing, a good set of cams and the rest of the bolt-ons on a regular SE-R will get you 190 (crank) HP, which is what the VE has. For another thing, the DET swap is easier. The VE is apparently very hard to tune, I remember that NX was at JWT for months while they were trying to tune it. With the DET, you just pull your DE out, put the DET in, put the JWT chip in and you're pretty much done. And you have more HP to start out with, and you can get a LOT more just by turning up the boost or replacing the turbo with a bigger one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just keeping my options open. My car is a daily driver, so if anything goes wrong it would have to be fixed quickly. After looking at that VE setup I'm definitaly not gonna do it until I have another car. I have been fighting myself about turbo though. I just sold all of my turbo stuff, and now I looking at the DEt install in SCC I'm thinking about all over again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
From what I remember, the VE is not emissions friendly, i.e. like the JDM SR20's. Also, tuning that thing will be different from tuning a DE. It would be interesting to see more people with that engine and maybe they will be coming down in price as time passes and they are more available.

Time for innovation, I guess :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but didnt some G20 have VE??? so if emissions a prob get a G20 right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts