SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, maybe I should've posted on the off topic board. Anyways what are your thoughts on especially the 745i series. I just looked it up on crutchfield magazine and thought it might be what I can use on my Nx. my car just got jacked for the 2nd time and my old alarm was no help. If you have other suggestions let me know too.
TIA,
Nick

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Its not eve 50% the quality of the alarm - its the install - if someone like a local large electronics store does it - forget it - your making it easier to steal - take it to a pro or do it yourself - but plan on a day or two project - when I install mine Im planning on having the complete dash out and parts of the interior in other places - make your wiring as hard as possible to find - and hard to get to - or best yet hard to tell from stock. Also - the good ole' boys trick - run it in yellow tubing like the airbag lines people will think twice before cutting into that. Also a proximity sensor isn't a bad idea - battery backup is a must, and multiple sirens (in hard to get to places) They make small interior pain sirens that will hurt your ears bad - I like using two of thise, a battery backup siren under the hood, and another siren somewhere else on the exterior of the car. A standard alarm or even the best alarm with a normal install doesn't help prevent theft at all - we almost got sued at best buy once because a lady came back after an alarm install we did a year ago, her car was stolen - when the car was towed to best buy I looked, and they used OUR wires to start the car (it was a remote start/alarm combo). Most installers/crooks have the standard alarm wiring colors memorized - its easy to hop into a car, drop the plastic under the steering coulum - rip out the alarm and figure whats what.....

Anyways I'm done ranting.... I think your car is in VA at Jasons's right now - if you aren't far bring it my way and we'll do an alarm install and a half on it (I work at Clarion now) Stereos/Alarms are my thang.....
Best of luck and sorry about your cars

Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great info Chris, yeah my car is at Jason's right now but I really need to get me a good alarm on it. Everyone I know wants me to go with the viper but I'd like to know your thoughts on which one would be best. (what I need is a good perimeter sensor(like 1 foot around the car), dual stage shock, start disable, I dont have power stuff so I can care less about the door locks and stuff. I live in a real fu**ed up neighborhood and someone seems to know how easy it is to break into an Nx now. :mad:
Nick

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hummm Jason's a drive for me - 6 hours I think? I live in Northern-KY.
Anyways brand wise - viper is DEI, which makes good stuff - my only problem with them is that they are very common (which means lots of poeple know their wiring colors) DEI also makes python, sidwinder, etc.) So yes they are a good brand, I also like Ungo, Avital is now owned by DEI but they make good stuf also - I've never used crime stopper and haven't heard much on it - so I can't offer any real opions on it.....
Best of luck though.

Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'll prolly end up with the viper one and do my own install with some different color wires. and I too am close to 6hrs. from jason but Im in maryland so Im prolly like 12hrs from you :confused: . But anyways I'm defiitely gonna have one by this summer cuz I'll be on campus till then and I'll have time to prepare before I come back to this sh$% hole. And hopefully you wouldn't mind me asking you a whole lotta questions on the install stuff cuz I've never done it before :(
Thanks again for the advise,
Nick

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
DEI made an add on pager for any alarm - I owned one in fact, while not flashy (no lcd, looked like an old pager with a red light to tell you what zone was broken into) Mine worked about a mile away - I'd park at the very end of a parking lot about a mile away from best buy - I'd goto the far back corner (car audio) an dhav e a buddy kicked it - the damn thing worked that far + through the walls - I was impressed. It used the FM antenna on your car so I guess th better that was the further it worked. Ungo (clarion) has the same thing you are talking abou- they go on ebay for about $200 - its an alarm/remotestart/keyless entry with an LCD display pager to tell you whats up with your car.......

If you can get a pager - well worth it...

I believe there are several companies that make add on alarm pagers now for any type of car alarm....
Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so which one of these have the best perimeter sensor on them. I want a warning chirp to go off when something gets about 1 or 2 feet around the car. I need something good so I can leave the T tops down and leave the car without going paranoid.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a very good point John Doe, I guess I'll just go for something extremely sensitive to touch. Does your crimestopper work with the windows down(I'm not sure if you got an Nx with Ts) I need something for those top down days.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Actually they are right about sensitivty.... your best best - is tune the permiter sensor to chirp about 1" next to the car - no further - or people will just mess with the car or it will go off on accident all the time.
Same with the shock sensor - keep it low - you don't want someone to be able to lightly kick the tire and it goes off because the other problem will be that if people drive by with loud stereos and set it off - or a large truck vibrating the ground can do the same.
The best way to set up the alarm is so that it only goes off when someone is breaking in - if it goes off all the time no one will care when it really is being broken into.
Your shock sensor doesn't do that much because of how easy an NX can be broken into (without using brute force) so you'll need to rely more on the proximitiy sensor - as for who makes the best - honestly they both look the same (ungo DEI) and I've had better luck with the ungo but thats me. Make sure you get a dual zone prox sensor, for the interior zone (which triggers full whenever its violated) and the exterior zone (chirps when your in it).

Again good luck.

Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I think I understand what I need to do now. Chris, much props for the advise!!
Thanks,
Nick

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
MauBlueGride has some good advice 1BAD_NX. Dual zone proximity can be fine tuned so that even with your t-tops out if someone reaches any further in than where the tops would be it will do an instant trigger. If you are going to do a starter kill then I would suggest either taking your dash out or spend some time on your back reaching up into your dash to bury the wiring. You can also use that starter kill relay wire to cutout your fuel pump or any other electrical things that you can get access to the wires. Battery back up is a good idea. DEI used to make a hood lock as well and that might be something to consider, then they can't pop your hood while the alarm is triggered. I have a cheap Valiant I bought from JCWhitney for like $60 and IMHO it is better built than the Viper I used to have. The Viper had four wires under a little cover that you could cut to change option with the alarm, problem was, undoing your cut was no easy task because the wires were like 1/2" long! The Valiant has a 4 dip switches which makes things easier. My Viper didn't work well the whole time I had it, then when I took the POS out I realized that the retards had grounded the antenna wire! One thing you cannot do is shorten or lengthen the antenna wire, because the frequency of the transmitter is directly related to the antenna length.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so how much should I expect to pay for one of your top choice systems?(without installation that is) I guess I should mostly be concerned with the proximity sensor from what you guys have advised me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts