SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard that some of the 91-93 SR20DE's have an issue called the startup clatter related to the timing chain tensioner. i think my car is doing this, but i am not sure..how much does this affect performance and how can i tell if i have the start up clatter?

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
you can here it, the tapping noise when you first start the car cold it only lasts for about a sec or two

------------------

92 NX2000, kyb agx, intrax springs, jwt pop,
3a Racing muffler with bonzi tip,
17 " mille miglia mm 112, Yokohama avid h4
ACT clutch on order

·
_______
2,170 Posts
From what I understand, startup clatter isn't related to the timing chain, but to the hydraulic valve adjusters. If you have it, don't worry about it. It doesn't seem to be a big deal.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm...yeah it is kind of like a tapping sound...very brief indeed..hmm...oh, well i dont really know what it is, but i just heard it was the tensioner...not the chain itself..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
the hyd. lifters make the tapping noise when you start up since they tend to leak down .... but if you rev the motor after start up then you might here a "jingling" noise which is the timing chain hitting the upper guide... if it does it after the car is warmed up you should change the tensioner (since its been updated)

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

G

·
THAT CLATER DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!
Im glad to hear its not serious though.
I thought it was the distributor.
I even had my girl start it up while I peeked under the hood so I could find where it was coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts