SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how important, not really sure what it's called, charcoal canister maybe?? It's on the front of the motor, in front of the vavle cover, the black box with a hose on the top and bottom. :rolleyes:

Anyone know:
-whats in it
-what's its main purpose
-can you delete it, and connect the hoses?

Nothing major, just thought it would be one less thing to look at. :rofl:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I believe that is the oil catch can. That tube that goes to your intake... and the one off of that leading to the catch can... basically what happens is that it puts the oil that tries to go into your intake back into the pan/block where ever it goes. I don't know if you can delete it or not.

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't you just connect the hose, coming off the valve cover that goes to the can, to the hose that goes from the bottom of the can to the block???

Mainly just wondering if that can filters or does something important. I don't see it being that important, but I don't want to f**k **** up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
drummer4lifex said:
I believe that is the oil catch can. That tube that goes to your intake... and the one off of that leading to the catch can... basically what happens is that it puts the oil that tries to go into your intake back into the pan/block where ever it goes. I don't know if you can delete it or not.

that is what it is and what it does. prevents you form pulling oil into the intake pipe. i would not suggest taking it off.

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
ok were talkin about 2 seperate things. the oil catch can is on the front of the motor right??? and the charcoal can is on the rear driverside tubular thing......im not gonna put input in until i know what we are talkin about....pics please.

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
The black box on the front of the motor is the oil seperator. All it does is keep liquid oil from going into your intake. It has a few ramped baffles inside. I have ran my turbo motor with and without it and it makes no difference. Oil does not get inside my intake either way. I dont know what conditions would cause raw oil to get up that far. I suppose if the motor was tired and had tons of blowby..:confused:

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the question now is, which way does the suction go. Does it suck from the valve cover to the box and then to the block. Or the opposite way? I guess I'll have to play with it.

Just a weird thing. The "T" that comes off the right side of the valve cover has the two hoses coming off of it. One that we're talking about above, and one that goes to the intake tube before the throttle body. If you block the the hole on the tube where the hose leads to and put a little intake filter on the "T" part, can you then run a hose from the other part of the "T" (what we're talking about above) to below the oil catch can where it goes back into the block????

Makes sense in my mind, any objections????

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
I would say leave that system alone. By putting one of those filter things on you will be essentially creating a vacuum leak.

·
sr20 addict
1,133 Posts
i just ran a heater hose from mine to the valve cover and i haven't had any problems????? i don't know

·
Registered
722 Posts
ve motors doesn't have it. so i guess it's okey to remove it. just run it the same way as the ve's.

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Is the VE's run the same way as ///M5's sig picture???

That's exactly what I'm thinking, except I want to eliminate the hose going to the intake and put a filter there since it needs air.

Anyone ever cut one open to see what's inside?? :confused:

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
Mine's gone, if we're talking about the AIV... Look in Neonphire's sig, are we talking about the little black box righ above the header on the side closest to the filter? If not, sorry I misunderstood...

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
lucino vzr said:
ve motors doesn't have it. so i guess it's okey to remove it. just run it the same way as the ve's.
That's because its built into the valve cover. There isn't a performance gain by removing it, so why not just leave it alone?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts