SR20 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
^^It sure does. I painted mine black again this winter while the car was sitting around waiting for a tranny, but I'd rather not see it at all.

So how does the VE's work? Is there a hose run from the "T" to the block with the oil catch can built into the vavle cover. Or is there just a catch can in the valve cover?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
like others stated, the little black box is the oil catch can. The RR valve covers and VE valve covers have new baffeling that achieves this same purpose, thats why they dont have them on their motors. Get yourself a RR valvecover THEN you can remove the oil catch can...VE covers are hard to get.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Leave it on there, I didnt have one on my DET when I bought it, and found myself with OIL in the intake, turbo, Intercooler, everywhere all the way to the throttle body. Put a catch can on thre, and my problem was gone. Either leave it on there, or Cap it off, dont just run a hose.

·
_scott
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
First off, nice diagram Figgy. So it sucks from the vavle cover I take it.

Second, the only way I'll do it, is if I cancle the tube going from the "T" to the intake tube and put a mini filter on that part of the "T".

You can't just cap off the hoses that go to the oil catch can, can you? It needs air to run through still doesn't it?

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Air needs to be able to excape out of the VC so no, don't just cap it off completely. THis has been covered soooo many times on here, especially in the last couple weeks. Just replace the stock black box with a oil catch can that has two inputs and a drain. Run the drain to the crank case port, then cap off one of the T ports on the Valve Cover. Run the other T port to the catch can and then a line out of the catch can to the intake pipe. That is all it takes.

Brent

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
That diagram is TOP NOTCH 5 star material. :)

·
Gone!!!
3,515 Posts
I removed mine and have had no problems. I just ran heater hose in place of it. i have seen a lot of people put one of those little filters off the end of the valve cover so oil doesn't run into the intake tube BUT that will be a vacuum leak. One thing I saw was a shorter heater hose coming off the block with a cheap little black plastic filter on that and then the spot where the hose would connect to the valve cover had a rubber cap on it. The block needs to be vented someway. I believe it relieves pressure in the bottom end.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=80048

The oil seperator is part of the PCV system, so plugging it up is not a good idea and removing it and putting in a breather filter will cause a metered air leak. If you look, there is a hose from this system that connects to the accordian pipe between the TB and the MAF, the reason it goes in here, is because the air being introduced has already been metered. Allowing that air to escape rather than return to the intake air will cause a metered air leak, leading to a rich A/F mixture. It might not be significant, but it is a metered air leak nonetheless. The only thing I'd do is follow those rerouting instructions I linked up above, that will help keep some of that crap out of your intake.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Toolapcfan said:
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=80048

The oil seperator is part of the PCV system, so plugging it up is not a good idea and removing it and putting in a breather filter will cause a metered air leak. If you look, there is a hose from this system that connects to the accordian pipe between the TB and the MAF, the reason it goes in here, is because the air being introduced has already been metered. Allowing that air to escape rather than return to the intake air will cause a metered air leak, leading to a rich A/F mixture. It might not be significant, but it is a metered air leak nonetheless. The only thing I'd do is follow those rerouting instructions I linked up above, that will help keep some of that crap out of your intake.

What do we do when our aftermarket intakes do not have a fitting for the hose that went to the accordian pipe on the stock setup? My HS intake does not have a fitting for this hose, so I had to run a little filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok were talkin about 2 seperate things. the oil catch can is on the front of the motor right??? and the charcoal can is on the rear driverside tubular thing......im not gonna put input in until i know what we are talkin about....pics please.
The oil separator is important. It allows the hot motor to push excess gasses and oil from entering your intake .especially when beating in it. I would not plug it or delete it. You can reroute it closer to the block so that it drains into the pan faster. I believe the oil catch can would run in line with your pcv side of the valve cover for added coverage. Don’t quote me. I’m learning this shut too

·
Registered
2 Posts
The oil separator is important. It allows the hot motor to push excess gasses and oil from entering your intake .especially when beating in it. I would not plug it or delete it. You can reroute it closer to the block so that it drains into the pan faster. I believe the oil catch can would run in line with your pcv side of the valve cover for added coverage. Don’t quote me. I’m learning this **** too. I think on an n/a motor deleting a pcv system is ok or running a catch can . But in a turbo system the pcv shuts down and does not allow ventilation so a catch can would deem virtually a waste of time if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The oil separator is important. It allows the hot motor to push excess gasses and oil from entering your intake .especially when beating in it. I would not plug it or delete it. You can reroute it closer to the block so that it drains into the pan faster. I believe the oil catch can would run in line with your pcv side of the valve cover for added coverage. Don’t quote me. I’m learning this shut too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts