SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a speeding ticket a couple days ago. Was going 51 in a 35, and the cop gave me a 44 in a 35 ticket. 1 point violation. I've got no problem with the fine, however, I need to do everything I can to get them to take off that 1 point, being that I am 19, and I'm guessing that my insurance rate increase will be much higher than the fine. I got a ticket last year, which was for Careless Driving, 4 points, but I went to court and and it was reduced to Unsafe Vehicle, a 2 point violation. Do you think they will offer a plea again? I'd be willing to pay a little higher fine in exchange for taking off the point. Any way I can do that? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You could always go to court and hope the cop does not show up.

MarC

·
Registered
202 Posts
2 methods:

1. Send a check for an amount greater than the fine. If the fine is $95, send $99. In some states they will automatically send a refund check. If one comes, throw it away- the case will remain open until the refund check is cashed/deposited.

2. Contest the citation- they will send you a court date. When the date comes in the mail, call and tell them you're out of the country or something and ask for a reschedule. The paperwork will often be lost at some point, or the policeman will not get the new date and will not make it to the rescheduled court date. They'll have to let you go.

I've heard of both of these working- good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first question to you would be-What state do you reside in? Every state has different ways of running their Traffic Courts(with upstate NY and some parts of MA being really strange...)I'm only familiar with MA, but I could give you some advice if you would like.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Colorado. The weird thing is that when I got that "careless" ticket a year ago, the back of the ticket stated that if I pay my fine before the court date, 1 point will be deducted. This speeding ticket looks exactly the same, except that it does not state the "1 point reduction" thing.

Thanks for all the help so far. I will try the overpay thing that lance mentioned.

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Here in Alabama you can go to driving school to get the point off. You might wanna ask about that in your area. I've been to driving school 4 times (I think, I lost count).

One time I had to go to a program called S.T.O.P. or the "Serious Traffic Offender's Program" for accumulation of points! I had so many points they suspended my license for 90 days. This happened to me TWICE! I used to be a VERY OFFENSIVE driver (well, I still am, just more STEALTHY!).

A couple of times my insurance company didnt notice some tickets!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, you live in Colorado? Where at? I'm in denver. You've the first lm (or forum member) i've seen from colorado..

BTW. I'm 99.99% sure the refund check thing works in CO.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you put your right foot in
you put your right foot out
you put your right foot in

uhh, sorry. that's DUI. my bad.

(J/K)

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Man traffic laws vary from state to state! That whole "refund" thing is risky. I worked for the CLerk of the Circuit court for six years, in our office the refund check was completely seperate from the case itself. Anyway, my suggestion is to get in contact with the prosecutor. Call the Circuit CLerks office in the county in which you recvd. the ticket. They should be able to give you the name and # of the attorney who will be prosecuting your ticket. You can then call him and ask for a reduction in points or an amendment! The first "plea bargain" you revd. was actually an amendment on the face of the ticket. You may be able to get that again and you have every right to contact the prosecutor. After all what do you think an attorney does when he/she negotiates a deal for you! Give it a whirl, o and you can always request a "trial". This date requires the officers appearance and if he/she does not show the case should be dismissed! Hope this helps!

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never heard of calling the ADA who is prosecuting the case...Here in MA, they have "Clerk Magistrates"that oversee Traffic Court. Anyway, the last ticket I recieved was thrown out by the Magistrate after I pointed out that out of many of the "offenders" gathered in the court room to fight their ticket, many of them had been written up by the same officer! Needless to say, I presented it in a respectful manner and not only did I get my ticket thrown out, but everyone else who had been cited by the same officer as well! The Moral? Not a bad outcome for showing up to Court early to "chat" with your fellow "offenders", to see if there's anything in common that you can use for YOUR case
BTW, it's three points for speeding tickets here in MA

·
Registered
883 Posts
I always heard that if it was 9 miles or less it didnt get reported to the insurance. Thats the way it is in Utah, and I think California.

Kris94G20

1 - 11 of 11 Posts